Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
It sounds high to me. The ad just says excellent condition. It doesn't say rebuilt. I have a Super T-10 listed in the classifieds here with a Hurst shifter for about half that and have had no calls. IMHO the Super T-10 is a better trans.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
buyer beware...

Unless you can see the condition of the gearset and know the seller's reputable , the asking price is ludicrous . Shop around ; there are M20 Muncie's out there with shifters ,updated centre-plates , new synchro's and new bearings for that kind of money . Be safe...Bob

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Very high, IMO, unless the numbers are important to you. You can buy an all-new, vastly improved M20 from 5speeds.com for $1700.
http://www.5speeds.com/newm22.html

My 1967 M20 is in pretty good shape, and I plan to ask $750 for it when I pull it out this fall. I may go with the the M22Z from 5speeds.com. It has a 2.98 low gear, which should be perfect with my 3.08 axle.

***Edit: Wow! I just noticed what Farm Boy pointed out. That's one of the main problem areas with old cases. The only real fix is to have the hole bushed. Even with a fairly tight-fitting shaft in an old case, it's a common area for leaks.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
$1200 is about right for a new rebuilt, but to much for a used.
I also bought a "excellent condition" 4 speed, for $800. Well the owner pulled the cover looked inside and decided for himself it was excellent.

Upon arrival, took it to a shop I have used for years to get it checked out. Well after three new gears and a slider (or something like that) new syncros, gaskets, etc. and another $600. It's like new.....

BUYER BEWARE...

·
Premium Member
13,579 Posts
Not sure I'm ready to sell it but I have one. Next time you take your grandson up to the track stop by my house in Vacaville on the way home. IF I do agree to sell I sure won't be asking no 1200 bucks for an M20!
Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts