Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I was at a car show/cruise in last night and saw alot of great looking cars. Spoke with several friends and the topic of paint came up. Since I have an interest in painting my '64 SS in the future, I paid close attention. I heard mentioned from one fellow, that he saw some very nice paint jobs come out of the local Maaco shop. He claims that for $2000.00-$3000.00 you can get a real decent paint job from them. Maybe like several of you, I've heard good and bad about Maaco. They don't sand very well, paint over emblems, don't apply much paint, etc. Also heard for the money, they can't be beat. I have no direct experience with them. I've only seen their finished product from a distance. I don't even recall talking to anyone who had their car painted there. I don't believe I would have my very rare car worth big bucks painted at Maaco, but what if you went over a game plan, what was expected from them, prior to the paint?? Is this a reasonable/logical approach. Has any member had their car painted there or do they know of someone who did?? Their experiences?? Thank you, Carmine.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
i would not want my classic shoved into an oven . plus pay close attention to what paint is being used.
that being said the guy in the booth is usually a very good gun hand. they spend all day pulling the trigger. it's the rest of maaco that screws everything up .

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I've been curious about Maaco for a while. I have seen them turn out some slick paint jobs and the paint one one car that I've seen on a regular basis for years has held it's gloss... but the body is beat up pretty good because the PO didnt pay extra for dent removal. I spent years working at a body shop but now I dont have a garage or a decent compressor and I cant get paint and supplies for the same price I used to. My wife has a 96 Honda that needs paint and I'm considering sanding and prepping it at home and hiring them to paint it... partly because the Honda would be a great test car to see how their paint holds up and I'll know it was sanded right if I sand it myself.

·
Registered
37,251 Posts
I think if you can find a Maaco shop with a manager who thinks he can make a $ doing this kind of stuff + you do as much prep as possible + they have a good painter + you buy their best paint materials, you may have a chance at a decent paint job. My guess is that one Maaco in 10 or 20 might do it with some kind of decent results.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
I had a CC over BB painted in the oven. The material cost over $3K alone. The panels were bare metaled, all bolt on panels were painted off the car, doors, hood etc etc.

The painter was also a panel beater by trade dual qualifications, took his time to get things right.

The oven allowed me to take the car home as it baked the final product enough to allow me to move the car. It also allowed minimum dirt on the paint job.

The assembled car :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
I just did a quick web search and the nearest Maaco is 2 hours away. I'm not driving 2 hours to get a 96 Honda painted. That is the end of that plan :ciao:

·
Premium Member
15,901 Posts
This 55 was painted at a Maaco 6 years ago. 100% of the prep work was done BEFORE it went there. It was in prime and ready to seal & shoot. All the chrome was also removed. It cost a little over $3000 for a base/clear urethane job that included all the jambs. They also cut & buffed it when finished. It looks better in person than the pictures show. I'm not sure about other areas but around here only the privately owned Maaco's offer these jobs, The company owned ones do not. :anim_25:

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
This 55 was painted at a Maaco 6 years ago. 100% of the prep work was done BEFORE it went there. It was in prime and ready to seal & shoot. All the chrome was also removed. It cost a little over $3000 for a base/clear urethane job that included all the jambs. They also cut & buffed it when finished. It looks better in person than the pictures show. I'm not sure about other areas but around here only the privately owned Maaco's offer these jobs, The company owned ones do not. :anim_25:
Looks great love the color.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have had at least 12 cars painted by the local Maaco. I have done 100% of the body work and usually chose the Acrylic Enamels or Urythane enamels. I was flipping cars at the time and arranged a deal with the manager to get the same basic package each time. It's the guy in the booth and the quality of the paint that makes the difference.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've had two cars painted by Maaco, a '79 Cadillac and a '78 280Z. Each time it was during one of Maaco's "half-price sales", so they only cost a couple of hundred dollars each (this was a few years ago, prices may have increased somewhat since then).

I did my own prep work (trim removal, sanding nicks and chips, wax & grease removal, etc.) and neither car needed body work. I was very satisfied with the paint jobs on both cars, and even though they were stored outside the gloss lasted for several years. There was never any peeling or other problems.

You only get what you pay for with any paint job, so you can't expect to win best paint at the Autorama with a Maaco job, but for the money it is a bargain. I probably wouldn't have my '55 Bel Air done there because it is a keeper and I would want to get the best paint job I could afford, but for a daily driver I would not hesitate to have Maaco paint it.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Most are independently owned so it will vary from shop to shop, but one in Stockton, Ca does custom cars all the time and does them well. He will do complete restores (bodywork) or only paint and guarantees it. The local Miracle where I live does lots of customs, the owner has a few himself. They strip the trim and all chrome sand and prep it properly and put it all back together for you. They do real nice work at about half the cost and in about 2 weeks rather than the usual 6 months at a custom shop. A friend had their 57 done there and is thrilled with the job, I can't find any problems with it at all.

If your a trophy hunter probably not what you want, but for my car I would consider them.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mine is there now getting it's Color.

I've had my 55 Belair for over 30 years. It was painted then with Dupont Centari. After neglecting it for 10 years I decided to get it repainted. Guess who I chose? Maaco. I did all the prep, Epoxy priming, 2K prime, and final sanding. The trim and chrome are all removed and I sprayed all the jambs, underhood and trunk in single stage. It is there as I write this getting a bc/cc repaint.:anim_44: I will post pictures when I get it back next week. This Maaco paint a lot of 60's cars and I've seen the work out of his shop.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow. I'm glad I asked this question. Some great responses. Some food for thought. Thank you everyone, Carmine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm the opposite. I'd rather find a shop to do all my prep work and sanding and then I would spray it. I think if a person can do a good enough prep job, sanding and primer, they could do a good spray job too. I think $2000 to $3000 is a terrible price if one has done all the prep and all they do is provide paint and facility with spray.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree with Porch Dog, and there are plenty of great painters many even at one of your local car clubs that have references and you can see there work.
But it all depends on what you want.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Maaco paint job here.
$5100 and it took 5 months. I had other bids ranging from $12K to $30K.
I pulled all the stainless and the windshield and rear window.
The car was taken to bare metal and brought out smooth with bondo, guide coats and block sanding though it was not rusty or dented to begin with.

The paint is base coat / clear coat GMC India Ivory 593 & Chrysler Inferno Red Crystal PRH (though I don't know the brand), and the car never went into an oven.
It was a perfect solution for me, paint has been on since 2009 and I haven't even waxed or clay bared it yet. Just washed and dried.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
There is a Maaco near me that is owned by a motorhead and turns out some nice custom jobs. His prices are fair. He uses no oven. He also uses SW paint and clear.

Don

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm the opposite. I'd rather find a shop to do all my prep work and sanding and then I would spray it. I think if a person can do a good enough prep job, sanding and primer, they could do a good spray job too. I think $2000 to $3000 is a terrible price if one has done all the prep and all they do is provide paint and facility with spray.
I respect your opinion but with dirt, dust, and bugs flying around I cannot paint finish coats outdoors. A spray booth or a two car garage is essential to eliminate those problems.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
I am by no stretch of the imagination a body man or painter, but I have tried my hand at small jobs (I am about ready to move on to a little bigger things, like a gas pump I'm restoring). I now have a garage that I can use to paint inside, but it was a nightmare trying to paint the simplest things outside. Never failed, that a gnat or piece of debris would end up on the finished product just before final touches and screw up the whole thing. I agree, a closed in garage or paint booth is the only way to go
I respect your opinion but with dirt, dust, and bugs flying around I cannot paint finish coats outdoors. A spray booth or a two car garage is essential to eliminate those problems.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts