Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was searching the local ads and ran across what I believe is a '57 283 Powerpak engine. If so, I'll freshen it up and drop it in my 57 Crew Cab. If not, I'll have some spare parts for the existing 283 if needed. I figured for 80 bucks I couldn't go wrong. And it was about 5 miles from my house. Bonus!!

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Wood Bumper Tread Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Asphalt

Automotive tire Wood Automotive wheel system Road surface Font

Wood Artifact Grey Sculpture Font

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,201 Posts
I think it needs the works! .. not just 'freshening up'... :) but you got a good deal on all '57 original parts... which is very good...

·
Registered
661 Posts
My 57 block happens to have the same stamped assembly date code and type: July 11, 1957, 220hp 283 4bbl with Powerglide
My intake manifold was cast 10 days after yours...
Saw Amber Wood Orange Automotive lighting

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it needs the works! .. not just 'freshening up'... :)
LOL! Indeed, I'm not going "Roadkill" on it. Yeah, I'll be going through the entire thing. Took it to the car wash and Gunk & the high pressure hose barely nicked the 70 year old grease on the thing. Looking through the exhaust ports the valves I would say are not, uh, pristine. 😆

My 57 block happens to have the same stamped assembly date code and type: July 11, 1957, 220hp 283 4bbl with Powerglide
My intake manifold was cast 10 days after yours...
Dude, we're like, brothers now. (y)

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,325 Posts
. Looking through the exhaust ports the valves I would say are not, uh, pristine. 😆
But I saw on youtube where on a scrap yard motor you just take a hammer to the valve stems letting the springs slap them closed and it fixes the valve problems! Also saw where they took the time to remove the rockers and maybe the springs? and spun then with a big drill. Some fancy folks with too much money take stuff like that to a machine shop. ;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Tony! I should have known youtube would have the answer. After I beat all my valves with a hammer I should be able to slap on a carb, stick a distributer in the hole, and fire 'er up. Should I spring for new spark plugs, or would swatting those with a hammer work too?

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
9,325 Posts
Thanks Tony! I should have known youtube would have the answer. After I beat all my valves with a hammer I should be able to slap on a carb, stick a distributer in the hole, and fire 'er up. Should I spring for new spark plugs, or would swatting those with a hammer work too?
Yes. If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts