Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 57 wagon with original wiring.I am putting in a alternator and madds new system.My question is, where is the main power up wire i should tap into on the 57 chevy ,thanks for any help Mark a hard man to get a hold of for info.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
I have a stock 57 wagon with original wiring.I am putting in a alternator and madds new system.My question is, where is the main power up wire i should tap into on the 57 chevy ,thanks for any help Mark a hard man to get a hold of for info.
The main power wire on a 57 is 12 gauge black wire from the starter solenoid battery post to the "bat" terminal of the ignition switch.
A 14 gauge red wire then runs from the other common "bat" terminal of the ignition switch to the fuse block, light switch, cigrette lighter, and clock. There's a splice in the red wire, inside the harness, to supply power to the different constant power components.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
The main power wire on a 57 is 12 gauge black wire from the starter solenoid battery post to the "bat" terminal of the ignition switch.
A 14 gauge red wire then runs from the other common "bat" terminal of the ignition switch to the fuse block, light switch, cigrette lighter, and clock. There's a splice in the red wire, inside the harness, to supply power to the different constant power components.
On a stock 57 chevy what breaker size should be used for the Black wire as it did not come with one from the factory. Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Don, let me ask you if you, if you where going to put a terminal block in at the firewall and run a 16 gauge fusible link to the main dash power up wire for light switch, fuse box and ignition switch where would you tie in at.Thanks.

·
27,084 Posts
I have a stock 57 wagon with original wiring.I am putting in a alternator and madds new system.My question is, where is the main power up wire i should tap into on the 57 chevy
Can you post a diagram of Madds new system. What are you trying to accomplish? A fusible link needs to be between the starter solenoid and the black wire.

·
27,084 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.