Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little trick to help[hopefully] bend the window fur U-Channel~ I found that it is tuff to bend the U-channel w/o either crimping or distorting the two chrome edgings of the channel. I purchased a "short" piece[18"] of 2" PVC pipe, AND the pipe coupler [About 2" wide], which is about 2 1/2" in diameter. *This will work on both Door & Quarter windows [Sedan]*. Get a piece of 7/32" Rubber vacuum hose [approx.12" long] and insert it in the U-part of the channel, where you want that approx. 90% bend for the front bends of the door and Quarter. Make sure you allow the rubber to extend PAST the ends of the bend!
SLOWLY...AND I MEAN SLOWLY, with the rubber hose inserted into the channel, make your bend around the PVC pipe{I put my PVC pipe in the jaws of my vise} while holding the outer edges of the channel straight [KINDA SQUEEZING THEM TOGETHER SLIGHTLY]and make the bend {AGAIN, SLOWLY}to the contour of your door/window opening! Once you have the correct bend, then remove the rubber vacuum hose, AND ADMIRE YOUR HANDYWORK! ...I have tried it other ways, and have dimpled or bent the channel edges and had to re-purchase another set of U-channels! Hope this will hopefully help someone that is restoring, or just redoing their TRI-FIVE ride! Worked like charm for me. Take care and...BOW TIES RULE!!:bowtier:

·
Administrator
66,170 Posts
Great idea, you know the drill, wheres the pics :)

Thanks for the tip I`m sure there are members out there that can use that on there build.

·
Registered
67,768 Posts
thanks for info. :tu ................................... hint :pics-1:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts