Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
This 41 Willys <------not a trifive :eek: we are building the customer would rather have a race type steer column with a quick disconnect. So I gathering some of the parts. Most of the parts will need some light machining and we could have bought one from Jegs or summit but I would have to modify it and most likely machine it a bit so may as well use my own materials.
we started out with some 1018 X.750 bar stock and needed to machine a double D on the end.

To get both sides of the flats we use a protracker set at 90 degree's.

When the one side is complete we simply turn the shaft 180 degree's untill the pro-traker reads 90 again and machine a flat in the opposite side.
After we fit the steer joint from flamin river to make sure we have a nice fit.

Here are some of the other parts we will be working with .

Now tomorrow we will machine and fit some of the other parts of our home brew column. :D

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ARRRGG
Still waiting on my steering wheel quick release. Then we can finish the rest of the column . I'm thinking we are going to put the master cylinder sideways over on the passenger side and build a fairly trick looking pedal assembly. Quite like the one I built for the 39 Willys delivery.

This will be a neat piece and the master will be mounted on the knee bar right below the dash . It will be an all billet 6061 T6 aluminum and the actuator rod will be stainless . It will work off a bell crank and transfer the push threw the a heim end.

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Folks
Well I'm back on the column and let me up date you on what we have done this far since our last post.
I got the quick release in this week so I am going to weld it on to the 3/4 1018 steel shaft wich one end if you remember we machined to a double D .

Here is the splined end which the quick release will attach to.

I took the extra step to drill and pin the spline seeing this is a street car and will see the abuse of the road. The red circle is were I tig welded the pin in place .

After that was welded in place I finished welding both ends.

Not that it is going to be seen but knowing its there I cleened up the ends in the lathe.

From the Lathe to the milling machine so I can mill a small detent in the Double D end so when it steering joint is in place the allen set screw will have a place to seat it self and not move .

I used a protractor to make sur the flat was sitting square with the end mill.

Here is the result of just a few passes .
Well stay tuned I will posting the assembly & installation of the column in the Willys here shortly. :D

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Folks
Here is an update on the steerin column.
this is a finish product before the installation which is a bolt in .

And "Dats Dat Folks" :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts