Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bunch of electrical question...not my fortay...sorry!!

Making up the wire for my 1-wire 100-amp alternator. Manufacturer says to use a 8-gauge wire....okay. Plan on hooking one end to the starter motor lug from pos side of battery. Does this need to be a soldered joint like one of these...
...or a solderless connector like this ...
? Looks like a 5/16" stud on the starter ?

Thinking that it's near the headers and the current itself, solder may not be the way to go with this size wire ?

So many choices looking at a site like Waytek, confusing...vinyl insulated, rubber insulated, plastic...

Also, if its a solderless connector, is it a crimp style connector ? Will I need a special tool for this ? Biggest size on my crimping tool is for a 10-ga wire. Any suggestions on one ?

Should I use one of these over the alternator connection ?

Just trying to find these parts is hard, without having to buy 20 of em online !! Most of the auto parts stores dont even carry the 8-ga connectors and such...any suggestions there ?

Thanks for the help...
Ken

·
Administrator
66,105 Posts
Anything that draws heavy current I prefer to use the first lug, you could heat shrink sleeve the lug as well.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I always use bare terminals . Solder BOTH ends on , heat-shrink them , and route them as far away from the heat as you can . A really good quality crimper could make a satisfactory connection , but few pay the big bucks to get the right tool , and the crimped joints fail . The one-wire alternator is the LAST choice for wiring a charging system . The conventional wiring does a better job of charging . Don't look for easy ways to wire up your car ; like the old Fram commercial , "Pay me now or pay me later". Once you've built the car , you won't like walking . Be safe...Bob.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,741 Posts
Gotta agree with Bob on one thing, a 1 wire alternator is the worst choice. There are reasons they make 3 wire ones, because they are better. But they take a small amount of knowledge to hook up.

If you have to solder it try not to let the solder wick it's way up the wire. When that happens it basically turns your flexible stranded wire into a solid stiff easily breakable wire. :anim_25:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have pretty good luck at my local Napa for the "little odd" things like that. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
You could also connect the alternator charge wire to a battery cable with pig tail on it. Less wires down to the starter is a good thing. I would cut off the ugly yellow connector and crimp, solder, and heat shrink the connection. 10 gauge wire is plenty big.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I would make the one wire alternator my last choice. They have to be excited by revving the engine to get them to charge. Three wire is a better choice as it's always looking at the condition of the battery charge and your idiot light will still work. Try sears hardware. I have found most of my connectors there and you can buy them by the piece. The 8 ga. would be a good choice for the wire between the alternator and the battery. I use a 93 CS130 alternator which requires the 8 ga. wire. Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts