Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I piddled with my trans Sunday night trying to adjust a slip out of it. I put the car in reverse and throttled a little load to it. Snap whirrrr! I guess I know what's wrong with it now. The problem is, it's setting in the back of my truck right now. By the way, Paint STRIPPER and pressure washer does a great job cleaning all the crud build up on a turbo 350. I also took a putty knife, rag of laquer thinner, and a can of 3m undercoat to the trans tunnel while I have access. The rest of the floor, I can enjoy through the summer. At least I know the transmission should be great when it goes back in, I just wasn't planning on it right now. Any suggestions, I'm dropping it off in the morning. I'm just getting the routine rebuild with a little rigging done to get a firmer shift. The shop is recommended, and does carry out for only $250. I'm not ready to pay for a high dollar rebuild yet, I just need the car to function for normal driving for now.

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Best of luck with the turbo 350, I am trying to get a turbo 400 to work in my 57 chevy for the first time,

Otis

·
Registered
25 Posts
Boy, you don't let any grass grow under your feet huh? Good job!

Got it in tonight, about 2 1/2 hrs to bolt everything up. I can sleep at night!

How about coming over to my place and putting the Nomad together?;) ;):D :D
I'm not too far from Illinois :) :) :)

GREAT JOB! Glad everything when well

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Night 2: Rebuilt Edelbrock 750 in 2 hrs. Got home from work at 3:00 bolted it back on a little after 5:00. Wife got home at 5:30 you know. Carb rebuild took out hesitation and runs down the road without grogging. Finally can enjoy driving it. Except, Temperature hits 200, the engine seems like it's loading up at a light. It runs perfect cool, but it died at a light when the engine got warm. I don't know what exactly to try next. By the way, after work tonight I installed my sending unit and fuel guage. I don't have to play roulette with my fuel level anymore. Just a couple more things on my vital list, then I can take a break.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Oh yea, another by the way. My engine has mounts on the front of the block and the rear of the block/bell housing. I noticed that I have no transmission crossmember. I heard it is okay to delete the rear trans crossmember if the trans is mounted at the bellhousing. Looks kindof creepy to me, what have you heard? Thanks. PS. Ummm Your cars are too nice to let me around, I'm still in the grease smeared along the bottom half of the doors mode.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Trifives didn't have transmission crossmembers. The original automatic was a cast iron glide and if it hung on that mount setup okay, the 350 sure will. However be sure the mount kit is secure. I cut the trans mount ears off my frame and made a crossmember for it. I prefer the tail housing mount and the additional clearence for exhaust the removal of the frame ears gives.
Of course I was building my car from parts and it was easy to make the change during the build up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car is still occasionally loading up, I have the mix screws turned all the way down to 1/2 turn. I think the carb is too big, it's an Edelbrock 750. Maybe I need to put smaller primaries in? Anybody had this problem?

·
Administrator
49,371 Posts
I ran my 57 for about 3,000 miles just like you describe, front mounts and bolted at the bellhousing T400 trans. No trouble with it. Until i tore it all back apart. Terry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MikeKy55 said:
750 is pretty big. What engine? how's it built? cam? heads?
Exactly, I don't think a 750 belongs on a 350. At least a mild one. This engine is a 350, but I'm not sure what cam. The cam doesn't sound too wild, and I don't know much about the rest of the engine yet. The heads are different, one is cast 3873487x GM14 and the other one is 3898820 GM7.???? The intake is Victor JR, and the dist is stock HEI.

487 Posts
Have you reset your timing, it could cause your problem. I would also recommend the rear trans. crossmember, the cast iron p/g or bellhousing was alot stronger than the aluminum 350/400 case, I've seen the cases crack due tio the wieght stress (to say nothing about the way we drive today).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good point, I was told a lot of small dirt track racers set up without a rear crossmember, but thats in a controlled environment. I'd feel better about putting one in. I did recently set the timing to 8 degrees, so I'm sure that's okay. The more I think about it, the car is just occasionally flooding out. I need to see if I can put smaller primaries in or trade carbs, I just put a rebuild kit in this one and it runs great except when it loads up from idling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts