1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
some of you may have read my recent Intro to the site:
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49816

to make my question short.
I am not 100% familiar with what the car has in it.

the gears for the stick are:
R-1-3
...2-4
(2nd is supposed to line up with 1st not R, the space there wasn't allowed so I added ... to line them up)

is it possible to change the Linkage to move the location of reverse to :
1-3
2-4-R

I just feel more comfortable driving with Reverse not right next to 1st.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
What kind of shifter do you have. Is it floor shift?
Tri-fives never came with a 4 speed.

·
Registered
37,969 Posts
You probably have a 60s or 70s 4 speed in the car, along with a Hurst style shifter.

First off, I think most people would rather risk accidentally putting the transmission in reverse at low speeds (when you would be downshifting to 1st gear), than risking that when shifting into 4th gear at much higher speeds. I think that is why these shifters are built this way.

I have never seen a shifter sold that was done the way you want, nor have I ever seen one converted.

I think you'd have to build your own if you were insistent on that arrangement. You would have to move the reverse lever in the shifter body to the other side, and you'd have to flip the arm on the transmission over. The hardest part would be providing the sort of spring loaded "lockout" that deters you from shifting into reverse when you don't want to.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a floor shifter
I know its Hurst (logo on the shifter).
I remember my Dad mentioning it one or twice.

it sounds like that's where reverse is in 4 speeds (left of 1st).

the only reason I want this is because my daily driving car is a 5 speed and the shifting arrangement is:
1-3-5
2-4-R

I just really like Reverse on the right I guess, and I would obviously never shift back from 5th.

Perhaps the main reason is that 1st is tricky to Find, its hard to feel the gears when shifting.
the shifter or transmission (or both) probably needs repair or replacement for having sat for soo many years (reason for sitting for years explained on my intro thread).

I have more than once gone into 3rd trying to find 1st.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts