Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '55 210 has manual steering and I jacked the car up last weekend to install a new speedo cable. At the same time I installed new belts and all week noticed squealing when I turned right(other squealing idling from the belts) so I tightened up the belts last night thinking it was the belts(fixed the squealing while idling) but still squealze when I turn right, any idea what might be going on? I jacked the car up under the front frame so I know I didn't damage anything but now it squeals like a power steering belt is slipping when I turn right, yet I don't have power steering.

Thanks,

Hank

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK well I found out where the squealing is coming from. When I make hard right turns it is actually coming from the right rear quarter of the vehicle so after further inspection there appears to be a slight rubbing of the tire against the body back there. Why would it only be when making hard right turns and not when on the straight away?

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Tire roll and likely some slight movement in the rear suspension components. Common when bigger tires are installed. Mine does it a little with 275/60 X 15's on the rear. But I have to be making a pretty hard right turn. Usually 10MPH over the suggested speed in a curve etc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

Thanks for the response and that definitely appears to be what is going on with mine my rear tires are 255/50 x 17. Today when driving to work I took it slow around the turns and no squealing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.