Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Has anyone used the manual steering box rebuild kits. Are they quality parts & how easy is the process of rebuilding the box. Also , how easy is it to get the box out of the car.
Thanks guys

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,876 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no vendor in mind , looking for the best quality . Any suggestions on vendors are welcome

·
Registered
37,985 Posts
Most of these kits don't have hard parts except maybe the balls and ball races. Most steering gears that need rebuilding are going to need a worm and maybe a rack. Possibly a sector too. And you may not be able to find those parts new.

If yours has excessive play, you'll either need a remanufactured unit like Mullins sells, or put a kit in a used box that doesn't have so much play. The reman box is over $500, so you can see that you should be getting much more than the $100 kit installed.

Perhaps Jalapeno can advise of other choices, but that's the way I see it.

The same can be said of 605 boxes, except that there is no such thing as a remanufactured box.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Tommy,
Are you definitely going to stick with a manual box long term? This may be the perfect time to move to PS if you are thinking about doing it down the road. :cool:
-b

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't plan to install power steering . I am getting a bad pop sound when I turn to the left & can feel it in the steering wheel. I have to have it looked at to see what the problem is but pretty sure its the box

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am thinking a total power steering package is about $1500 , remanufactured box about $500 ,Does that sound about right?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
What can effect the cost of a complete power steering kit is the engine you have and other factors. There are complete power steering kits for under $1000 using the 500 PS gear, this would fit a vintage (60-75) small block with stock exh manifolds (no headers) and auto trans (or floor shifted manual trans), includes modified OEM style column.

Be aware there are many many ads state "COMPLETE PS KIT" but they are not! Usually missing pulleys (and belt) and/or modified column and/or something else significant. You don't find this out until you get the kit. Do Your Homework! ASK QUESTIONS!

As for gear rebuilding kits, as Rick points out, your gears must be in good shape (the sector and the wormshaft) for a rebuild kit to do you any good. You won't know what you've got until you have the gear out and apart. And the quality varies widely, the best kits have USA-made bearings and quality seals. Again, ASK QUESTIONS!

You can also get a completely new repro manual gear for about $450, I am not familiar with the quality of this gear but it has been on the market for several years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts