Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sitting at the mall this morning were 4 new Harleys under the Christmas tree. I not a bike guy so I can't identify what the were but three were black, one white with red flames.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Too many of my relatives have debilitating injuries from these things, but they are fun to ride and if I were to buy one I'd probably get a used one off ebay because new ones depreciate quickly.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Been riding motorcycles since I was about 12 and am now 62 and still at it... You either get it or you don't. All of the friends I have lost were on Harleys. There is no such thing as a safer bike, it's always the inattentive motorist that "didn't see you" that gets you in the end. My current ride.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Nice, BUT... I quit riding them years ago. Mike

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I've been riding many years. I always ride believing everyone on the road is a maniac intent on killing me. Unskilled riders, even those riding for many years who think they can ride are more dangerous to themselves than new riders who take Riders Ed courses to learn technique. Skilled riders who get too comfortable on their bikes, who get too aggressive as they age and slow in reflex are just as prone to fail as unskilled riders.

Enjoy the ride, then know when its time to stop.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've ridden for 30+ years but never owned a Harley. I've rented quite a few, always a dresser. I currently have an GL1800A Honda Goldwing. This is my 5th wing. I also build bikes. I just finished a Bobber for one of my sons. My wife and both sons also ride. I'm not much of a around town rider. I like going long distances and never have trailered my bikes. Anything with an engine I'm into.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Definitely was a dream of mine. I had mini-bikes as a kid but, Mom said, "as long as I'm alive, no way you'll have a motorcycle"!

Unfortunately Mom passed away when I was 21 and guess what? Yes, I did get a bike. I actually taught myself how to use a clutch plus, used the same principles with a car. Growing up with polio and riding a motorcycle wasn't the smartest thing but, hey, I always did what I wanted to do...you know, and had to learn the hard way sometimes!

Now it's 'been there, done that'! Too many crazy drivers on the roads today. It's just not relaxing anymore. Sold them many years ago. That's why I got back to my first love and that's cars!

The Chevy's will be with me till the end!

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've had dirt bikes in the past but never a road bike. I always thought it would be fun but other drivers always scared me. Now the deer are all over the place. One ran into my brother-in-law while he was pulling into his driveway. Broke his hip and now he's living with pain and regular hip replacements for the rest of his life. He still rides though. I don't get it. :anim_25:

·
Registered
678 Posts
I sold mine last year and my 1966 Chevy ll Nova to pay for all of my modifications to my 56. My wife was the happiest as she hated me riding a bike.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Out of necessity.

Two wheelers are a source of pleasure for millions and that's cool. As a private in the Army, a bike was the only source of transportation I could afford with insurance. Summer, winter, spring, and fall. Believe me, winter was no picnic. Road trips at Christmas in the cold rain pretty much took the edge off it for me. I've not owned another bike, nor do I any longer have the desire.

And who's pricing these things anyway? It's not like they are in short supply! Check out the showrooms.:confused0006:

Bikers, enjoy the ride. Watch out for idiots. If they make a mistake, you lose.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
My younger brother has always been into motorcycles. Started riding legally on the streets at 14 when a 14yr old could get a motorcycle/scooter license. He rode a Triumph Tiger Cub my folks bought him. As a teen he raced off-road and TT for the local Honda shop. He bought a 'hardtail'(?) Harley chopper w/springer forks when he was 18(still owns it). He now owns a full dress Harley 100th Anniversary Edition that he ordered when they first were announced. His wife also rides and owns a Harley... Ron has had a few accident over the years both on and off road yet continues to love and ride bikes.

I do not know motorcycles that well and really do not like to ride them and have little interest in them...prefer having 4 wheels under me. I owned a 650 BSA for a short time when I was 18, had an accident that scared the crap out of me and pretty much quit ever having a desire for a bike, yet I did get a Honda Scrambler in my 20's, rarely rode it and sold it to my youngest brother.

Got this bug though to try and find another BSA just to fix up and become 'garage art'...lol

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I have been riding bikes since I was about 9 my first bike was of course a dirt bike and then as I got older I got into the enduros and they were a blast growing up in Neveda you had to love the dessert lol

As I got older I really started to enjoy the Honda line of bikes as I had several
v45 and v65 a couple of magnas, nighthawks and what not however the look and the sound of the american dream bike (Harley) as they call it always seem to raise my eye brows and so I set my self out on a mission. With raising a family going out to spend 20,000 was not a option so I built my own. I bought a custom stretched frame and the bike was very similiar to the fat boy which was the style that I had loved. It seem like it took me forever to get this bike together and my thought was I budgeted for 10,000.
Hey a new bike for 10K and I put it together sounds like a greatr idea right?
After all was said as it always seems to happen towards the end of the build I had two items left to buy the power plant and the transmisiion. I got a great deal on a brand new 6 speed so I bought it and then as I was looking for a motor a friend said hey I will sell you my 80 cubic inch out of my 94 fatboy i think it was a 94. Put the bike together and now keep in mind I refused for years to ride a Harley unless it was Myne so I have been waiting for those moment for years......

I got on it and this is how I describe my expierence.

It took 5 years to build
Two weeks to ride
and three days to sell.

It was the slowest pig I had every rode It couldnt even get out of its own way I was so dissapointed. Now I understand there is a difference between the bikes i had in the past and a harley but with the bike I built it needed two motors. When on a bike I dont know about you but I want the power there to get the you know what out of someones way just in case. I have never been on another harley.. perhaps I should have just saved my money and bought that other bike i posted a pic of lol

1073939_597604216929824_2006718698_o.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have had a road bike since 1970, well kind of road bike (Honda CT 70). When I was 9 dad let me go pretty much anywhere as long as I was home by dark :tu:p3:

Been riding Harleys since 1984 when I bought a Electra-glide, Here's a pic like my first Honda and a pic of my latest Harley.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I bought my last Harley in 1995, still riding it today. Tried to trade it in once on a new one but just couldn't do it. Like my 55, it's just part of me. My Dad had 01 ElectaGlide that somehow wound up in my garage, He can no longer ride, but when he did, we had some great times together.
For those who don't get it, don't worry, it's not for everyone. I have been riding since I was 9, Hopefully I will never stop.

Mine

My Dad's

1 - 16 of 16 Posts