Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can fit a 60 series tire without a problem as long as it has the proper back-set on the rim to center the tire in the well ?:confused0006:

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Tim it is not the profile of the tire that limits you, it is the width. A 60 series tire has a side wall height that is 60% of the width. You can go 60, 70 or even 35 or 40 but it will be the width that you have to worry about.
Jim

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I submitted that one wrong LOL ok what about width I would like to run the widest tire possible without having to tub it, any thoughts ?

and thanks for the reply :shakehands:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
ahh very true Terry well stock springs and I will be going with a custom rear end so I can cut it as needed but what is the widest you've seen fit easily in the well ?

you and Jim have great looking cars nice job !!

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
I have aftermarket rallys with 4 1/2" backspacing on my 57 with stock rearend and springs. I am running 295-50x15 tires on it. They are very tight and a 275 would give as little more breathing room. Although i have had no rubbing issues thus far.
Terry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great info Terry thanks, that at least gives me a running start for what I'm looking for I need to put some rubber on the ground with the motor I'm using..

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I have aftermarket rallys with 4 1/2" backspacing on my 57 with stock rearend and springs. I am running 295-50x15 tires on it. They are very tight and a 275 would give as little more breathing room. Although i have had no rubbing issues thus far.
Terry
Terry did leave your leaf springs in the stock location or move them in?

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Be very careful on your calculations... I've got 275/40/18 on the rear with a 18x8 wheel and 4" of backspacing, custom width 9 inch (forgot how wide) and no springs.

To get the rear tire/wheel in or out, I have to raise frame, let the axle drop all the way and tug on the quarter panel a bit to get the wheel in or out of the fenderwell.

Charlie

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
I have aftermarket rallys with 4 1/2" backspacing on my 57 with stock rearend and springs.
Yes Rudy springs in stock location.

To get the rear tire/wheel in or out, I have to raise frame, let the axle drop all the way and tug on the quarter panel a bit to get the wheel in or out of the fenderwell.
Charlie i have to jack mine up by the frame then it is no problem getting the wheel/tire on or off.
Terry

·
12,256 Posts
One note, you can't get a 295 tire in the stock wheelwell without rolling or trimming the fenderwell lips.

The inside of the lips is typically about 71.5-72" wide. The spring is 48" wide. So you have 12" best case in each STOCK wheel tub. A 295 tire is nominally 11.6" wide. Even a 275 tire is a tight fit, but it will fit with the correct backspace wheel. A 255 should fit comfortably.

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
One note, you can't get a 295 tire in the stock wheelwell without rolling or trimming the fenderwell lips.
Yep, forgot to mention that the fender lips are rolled up. I did that many years ago when i was running the L-50 series tires on cragar mags.
Terry

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for those clarifications, I'm looking to run a set of vet style Rally's rims with derby caps (aftermarket) I appreciate the responses :shakehands:

That Nomad is going to be an awesome ride great build Chevnut :tu

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry Terry I haven't been on-line in a few I'm running 15X7's with 4.25 back-set but the way its looking unless the rear end I use is like 59" the wider tire will be an issue the rear end I have now is 61" I would need a deeper back-set in the rim to go wider with the tire.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have 10 bolt gen2 Trans Am axle fitted(posi/disc), 60 1/2" wide, with 7x15 five spokes fitted, the max tyre size I can get under is 235x70x15 & that's with 1" taken out of the wheel arch lip...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts