Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm posting in the forum as it it seems the closest description.

I have a 1956 sedan. It currently runs with the stock wheels, bias ply tires, and the springs are in the stock location.

I want to switch to radials. Because I've spent so much money on the car to date, my budget does not allow custom wheels or spring re-location.

Will 225R15/75 tires fit both the stock rims and the rear wheel wells.

Thanks

·
Registered
953 Posts
When I bought my '56 I drove it home.
About 800 miles to go but it still had the old original bias tires on.
I bought four P235/75 R15's had them mounted and balanced and drove it on home.
They were too tall (to match original height), but otherwise worked fine on the original wheels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WARPWR.

Thanks for the reply. I should have added that I'm lowering the car 2" front and rear. Since you were able to fit 235, I shouldn't have a problem with 225s, but I had better get out the measuring stick and see if the 75 aspect ratio will fit.

Thanks for getting my brain in gear:)

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
back in the 70's I was able to squeeze a pair of G60X15 on the rear, they just would go on between the stock brake drum and the fenderwell, I had to use a rubber mallet to bend the wheelwell lip in so they would not rub and they just did clear the leaf springs. I had a set of alum. slots but I do not remember the setback on them. I think G60's ar about the same size as 255-60.
on the front I haven't encountered any problems, but back in those days we wanted to run much smaller tires on the front than on the rear, I think I ran something similar to 205-75-15 but I'm not sure...

·
Registered
92 Posts
My personal opinion is that 235's are too big to be used all around.
I like a "rubber rake" with larger tires on the rear and small ones on the front; this look is enhanced if you lower the car.
I run 275 60X15's on the rear and 215 60 X15's on the front. The car is lowered two coils, and looks close to right to me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts