Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
55 2 Dr HT Long Island, NY
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started watching the Mecum auctions in Kissamme Florida and was mesmerized at all the amazing cars they had on the block. The quality of many of the restorations was impeccable. I know some of you have similar qualify cars but I am not in that league. I have a great appreciation for the work that went into them and some of the sale prices don't seem to come close to cover the restoration cost. I am retired now but I got to thinking maybe go back to work to be able to afford more collector cars (there was a red 1963 split window Corvette that caught my eye)馃榿. One of the commentators talked about how they were amazed at how hot the collector car market was so there is hope for a good future for the car hobby.

Art

Registered
I reviewed the cars / prices that sold today / Friday.....everything way outta my league !!!

Registered
I鈥檝e always loved the Thunder bolt. There was a guy that lived not far from me as a kid that had one and would run it at Irwindale. I鈥檇 hand him wrenches when he was working on it just to be there when he鈥檇 fire it up. Good memories!
And while I some crazy numbers on cars, I saw some realistic ones too: 65 A code 4 speed mustang for around $30k.
Its a bucket list item for me to go to one of these auctions with $30-$50k to spend and see what I can come up with. I think you could do well if you didn鈥檛 have your heart set on a specific car.

Registered
55 2 Dr HT Long Island, NY
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I first started to watch the auction there were a number of cars that were below 60k, still too much for me - but based on the workmanship very reasonable prices. I watched some of it yesterday and it seemed that most cars were over 100k, the Corvette I imagined buying was over 500k and way too many were over a million. I am going to save some money by looking at my 55 and adding my imagination while driving it around. Maybe I can do better in my next lifetime :unsure:

Registered
Very true that some are just crazy money, but for every 6 or 7 figure car they show on tv, there are several nice but much cheaper ones that don鈥檛 get shown.
Would highly recommend going to one of the auctions as an observer. It鈥檚 not expensive, and if you go at non peak teams (first day or two, during the day), there are some nice, realistically priced cars.
I think one can buy a car reasonably at the big auctions, but I think one鈥檚 chances of doing that are much increased if you went With an open mind.

Registered
There have been a lot of really nice cars go through for prices, at least in my eyes, that appeared much lower than the build cost. The super rare and immaculately done cars certainly brought in some big bucks but there looked like a lot of value in some not so rare but still really nice cars.

Registered
I went to a BJ auction once and some of the 鈥渃heaper鈥 cars weren鈥檛 so nice looking up close. Lighting and camera angles can hide a lot. Some were just 鈥減igs with lipstick鈥.

Registered
Do they drive those $500,000+ cars or just park and resell in a year or so? If I had the money I would want to drive the tires off of them.
Todd

Registered
55鈥 Pontiac station wagon Chevy 350/350
Friend of mine just sent me a picture of the 2 million dollar cuda . Crazy.

Premium Member
I started watching on the first day and was amazed at how cheap some of those went for. Not enough to pay for the paint. Then last night that red/white 55 Nomad sold for so much it made my jaw drop! Started to feel like people were losing their minds!!

Registered
Very true that some are just crazy money, but for every 6 or 7 figure car they show on tv, there are several nice but much cheaper ones that don鈥檛 get shown.
Would highly recommend going to one of the auctions as an observer. It鈥檚 not expensive, and if you go at non peak teams (first day or two, during the day), there are some nice, realistically priced cars.
I think one can buy a car reasonably at the big auctions, but I think one鈥檚 chances of doing that are much increased if you went With an open mind.
I've gone a few times to Mecum in Indy....kinda fun walking around and looking at all the cars

Registered
The ones I admire are the handful of guys with a legit 250 GTO and the huevos to race a $40 million car wheel to wheel. Awesome. I鈥檓 glad there are cars in museums, but I鈥檝e no real interest in buying a museum piece.

Not so much an auction commment- those cars don鈥檛 come up often; more to do with guys that spend big money for a car that never gets driven.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts