Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i get emails from time to time about media blasting. i have a blasting booth here at my shop. i spent a year researching before spending the money to set up. i can tell you it was an education. there are so many different medias it is hard to pick one. i researched soda and passed on it because of the high investment and potential problems associated with it. i found that sand actually promotes rust . not to mention the silica dust hazard . starblast is one of the better medias. it is fine and cleans pits and crevices extremely well. will also work good in small pressure blasters. i use type6 acrylic and corn cob on corvettes.

as for cost it is 100 per hour. seems to be the industry norm. usually around 1200 to 1400 for a rotisserie job inside and out. if it is clean ! a car has to be grease free when it goes into the booth. i also epoxy and lizardskin most of them. car is protected and insulated when it goes home. one customer hauled home to houston in the rain . could have been bad without epoxy. spi epoxy has a nice gloss and makes it easy to find areas that need work.

anyway just some fyi on blasting that may be useful .

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have had a car blasted using aluminum oxide several months ago and still looks good. My question is what would you recommend for the next step, as far as what to use for prep before priming? There is nothing on it now just bare metal. Any info would be greatly appreciated, just don't want to skip a step at this point and mess up the whole process and have to start over. Shane

·
Registered
957 Posts
as for cost it is 100 per hour. seems to be the industry norm. usually around 1200 to 1400 for a rotisserie job inside and out. if it is clean ! a car has to be grease free when it goes into the booth.
$1200-1400 is that body only or does that include frame?? My current 4-door isn't going to get that detailed but my next 2-door will. ;)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
once i'm done i wash the car with dawn soap . after blow drying i epoxy it with 2 coats . the reason i wash is to remove any oil residue from the compressor and rinse out any media left behind. i have never been able to blow it all out until last coat of clear. :eek: you can wash with water base wax and grease remover or solvent base cleaner. do not use lacquer thinner !!!!!!!!
it is normal to get an orange tint of surface rust. mostly due to iron deposits in your water. one thing this does is tell you is it's clean. you can scuff with red scothbrite and epoxy.

frame is separate from body . it really comes down to hours. i have had cars with so much paint and rust it took several days to get it all clean. body alone can take 8-10 hours. you then have doors and other parts. it is not uncommon to have 20+ hours in it. doing inner fenders and all the braces and splash aprons.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
Thanks porchdog for the information. I have a decent sized blaster, do I need special kinds of tips for different medias ?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the larger the media the larger the tip. starblast is a fine media and will work with a small blaster.

the pressure inside the tank and inside the blast hose must be the same . more pressure in the hose than the tank and the media will not fall into the stream. more in the tank and it will fill the hose and shut it down.

the less media feed the better it works.

stay 45 degrees of the panel. anywhere you hit 90 degrees will peen the metal and stretch it . heat does not cause the panel to warp. be real careful blasting braces under the hood or the underside of the trunk. anywhere you go 90 off the brace will show on the hood surface. treat it all the same. 45 degrees and backed off.

my rig has a 1 1/4 hose and 3/8 tip. i have it down to 30 lbs so it does not tear up stuff and push me around the booth.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Porchdog,
Have a question for you. Have you ever known anyone to use a powder coat primer after sandblasting? I have been chattin with a few that say it works great. Any feed back would be great.
Thanks, BB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Crushed Glass?

Everyone I have dealt with is using crushed glass for blasting on cars. Problems with that? I am doing mine next weekend with glass...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts