Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed an M46 melling oil pump and if anyone wants it, you can have it. I think the M46 is the stock type for 55,56,57 only. It was on an early 60's 283 and worked fine. It would need a new pickup or you can tack weld the one that is on it. I guess whoever put that engine in the car used an original type oil pan because the M46 is a longer bodied pump than the new ones like the M55. I changed the oil pan a while back to a newer one from Summit and the M46 is too close to the bottom of the typical newer 4 quart pans. Also, the drive shafts between the two pumps are different. It has the driveshaft on it.

http://www.melling.com/Portals/5/pdf/pdf_catalog/oil_pumps.pdf

Now, a mistake I made and maybe this will save someone else from doing the same. If you buy a newer oil pan, it probably takes the oil pan gasket with the thicker seal on the front, even though if you go in and ask for a gasket for a 283 it says to use the thin one. yep, I spent $25 on a nice one piece oil pan gasket and it was going on a 283, so i got one for a 283......wrong. (I have good one piece reusable gasket too if needed, thin front seal) The thickness is determined by the pan, not the engine. So, after trying to figure out why I was leaking oil, I think I know where I screwed up. $25 more and about 3 oily hours and I think I've got it now. Will start it tomorrow and see. Live and learn....be glad when the learning don't always cost me $$.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts