Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I'm Rick, live in Utah.... from Wyoming.... have 3 '57 Chevys. Learned to drive in the 4dr hdtp, has about 50K on it now, as original as they get. I've had lots of cars and have a lot of oldies but '57 Chevy has always been my favorite. Also have a restored '57 Convert, all to original except colors changed. Also have my '60-70's hotrod '57 Chevy 150 Business Coupe, with back seat added of course. Has the required 327 Vette and Muncie 4-speed, Crager's, black tuck and roll. Going to go thru this one some day and make it slick but it's just like it was when it was a street machine over 30 years ago so not unhappy with that.

Question: Doing maintenance on the cars and need recommendations. What weight, what brand and where do you buy it do you put in your steering gearbox? Also I'd be interested in what Chevy owners are using for engine oil, filter brand, auto trans fluid, brake fluid, etc. I've used whatever seemed right but if something else is better I'd like to know about it.

Anyone using Mobil 1, or other synthetic, and what conditions (old engine, new engine, etc.) do you use it over the good old Quaker State, or other brand 10W-30? I know there's probably some using straight 30 too. I've switched to Mobil 1 in some of my later ('60-70's cars) and am really happy with it. The muscle cars run smoother and I think the lubrication properties is good when the car isn't being driven much. No leak or other problems noted so far.

Thanks for the website and for your response. I'm looking forward to reading thru a lot of back posts and catch up to some extent.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Welcome to the site!!! I'll use most any of the name brands of motor oil. The manufacturers usually stand behind thier products. If it is the standard non power steering box I would use 85-140 gear lube.
Dave

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Welcome! You might get better responses to your questions if you post individual threads about a particular topic -- just a suggestion.

·
Administrator
49,351 Posts
Rick as to the steering gear oil,the shop manual says to usean all season gear lubricant. No weight is given. It also says steering gear lubricants are marketed as a winter grade chassislube or as a special steering gear lube. Hope this helps some.
Terry

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Welcome! I'm a Valvoline oil fan.That said,the oil manafactureres are cutting back on the phosphorous and other ingredients which are vital to our old flat-tappet camshaft motors but "harmfull" to the enviroment.I have been using racing and off road oils that still have the needed minerals.the best solution is to probably go to a roller-rocker camshaft.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome Rick, does sound like a great collection of 57's... I personally won't use anything but Mobil 1 and Lucas additives in my rig's. Broke the motor's in with regular oil then switched to synthetic. The lucas stuff I use in differential's and all other gear boxes.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,817 Posts
Welcome Rick!
What part of Wyoming? I am originally from Cheyenne. Good luck on the cars! Personally, I use Castrol 20W-50 on everything high mileage and Castrol 5W-30 on all the new stuff.
Eldon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.