Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 305 Posts

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several months back Mickey reached out to me for some advice on his leaking powerglide. We all know
the issues. Mickey wanted to replace it, but the bigger problem was that he has an inline 6 engine and there
is not much of an option for replacement transmissions with that motor. The best option is to replace both.
Which as it turned out, he wanted to do also. We discussed the best way to go, while staying with what looks
original.
I had a mostly complete 56 power pack motor. Using it solves the oiling issue with the 55 265. We arrived at
building a period looking V-8 engine and using a 350 tranny. Donovan located a really nice one locally
that had been pulled out of a running car, because the owner wanted a newer overdrive.
The build was on. The motor was torn down for complete rebuild. The same for the tranny. Both would be the
responsibility of Donovan for most of the hands on work, with input from me. Most of my time would be used
in details and my knowledge of the older period type power train.
We have been several months working towards this end. Tonight I am just starting the thread, and will add
a few photos. As time progresses I will add in more photos of the past work and bring the tread up to current.

This is a major undertaking as almost every system of the car will be impacted. Stay tuned as we move through
the process to completion.

Mikey
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Electrical wiring
Gas Wood Machine Auto part Metal

Gas Auto part Event Metal Automotive wheel system
Wood Saw Machine tool Engineering Gas

Tool Gas Wood Machine Table
Gas Electrical wiring Auto part Room Wire

Gas Metal Machine Auto part Wood

Pliers Yellow Gas Auto part Wood

·
Premium Member
1955 Belair convertible
220 Posts
Here is the original engine. It runs very well but the powerglide
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Hood Automotive battery Car Motor vehicle

leaks badly and frequently will not go into reverse.
As the car had been in storage for about 30 years there are a lot of things that have gone bad so my time is spent in getting things repaired.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mickey, Mikey, and Donovan have been planning this build for a while. I am really excited to see this project start, as I am anxious to see the engine come together. I know that Mikey is also collecting the other parts necessary to complete this drive-train swap/ upgrade. The 1956 265 engine build will be interesting, in that it will not be totally stock. Donovan is almost a "savant" when it comes to engines, so you know that this will be done right. Original 265 parts (cam, and lifters) are getting very hard to source, so Mikey and Donovan will show us all how to overcome these problems while building a stock looking engine that will be better than stock.

This build gives me and my dog Koda a reason to go up to Mikey's shop for a visit very soon. I also look forward to meeting Mickey when he is in the area. Today we are in the midst of a winter storm, another 4-6 inches are forecast for Wisconsin's Lakeshore area tonight (Thursday). I am now very tired of winter and looking forward to spring. This project will be a welcome diversion.

Steve

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I'm looking forward to this project. My first tri-five was a '56 with its original 235/PG - a combination that I seriously wanted to change - but a college kid on a budget with little experience, seemed smarter to just rebuild what was already there. I'll enjoy seeing changes that I wasn't able to make come about here.
JR

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some of the parts I have already collected: Carb is out to Bob Kunz for complete Restoration.
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Machine Personal protective equipment

NOS 12 V coil. Unopened box.
Liquid Shipping box Packing materials Carton Box
Amber Wood Finger Gadget Material property

Rectangle Font Material property Gas Electronic device

NOS Fuel Filter
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Font Gas Automotive exterior

Air cleaner
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tableware Motor vehicle

Grey Gas Tints and shades Wood Art

I'll keep posting more photos of the parts we have collected.

Mikey

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
New updated 57 and later style distributor with NOS Vac Advance so we can use a hard metal line.
Nickel Gas Household hardware Cylinder Machine

Gas Cylinder Electrical wiring Auto part Cable

New Cold Case Aluminum Radiator will be painted satin black to look original.
Shipping box Wood Rectangle Gas Font

New Aluminized dual exhaust system from Shafer's Classic Parts.
Wood Road surface Asphalt Flooring Automotive exterior

Wood Flooring Gas Waste container Fixture

Wood Flooring Rectangle Floor Material property

Many of these part I directed Mickey on where to get them. He paid for them and had them shipped directly to me to control costs.

It's my policy that If I don't purchase the parts, I don't mark them up. Mickey purchased parts are at what he paid. In the case of the
exhaust, he got a much better deal through Summit than going direct to Shafer's.

Mikey

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tranny is finished. WE sent all the hardware out for re-platting. Donovan has made many updated to it. The shift pattern will be more consistent, and
smooth. No hard shifts. We also installed an Aluminum pan with a drain plug.

The case was dry ice blasted to clean it. It will get a matte urethane clear as a finish to seal it.

Mikey
Furniture Table Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Bumper Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Aircraft

Reactions: davidc

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The engine was deep cleaned. All the machine work was done. The engine is now bored out to accept 57 283 pistons. The rods were all sized and trued.

The rear cam journal was machined like the 57 blocks were. This now allows us to use a later model cam and will also provide a much better oiling system.

The stock crank was so nice it was polished and the oil holes opened a little on the bearing surface. The full rotating assembly was also balanced.

I messed up and forgot to order the new rear main seal. It is now ordered. But because of this mistake, we cannot install the crank and pistons. We did get all the galley plugs installed with special sealer.

We got the last 55-56 rear cam journal plug in the northern half of Wisconsin at NAPA.

Mikey

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Tire

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive exterior Bumper

This is by far the cleanest block I have been around. Looks like it came out of the foundry yesterday!
Dishware Tableware Azure Serveware Hat
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Gas Art
Gas Engineering Auto part Metal Motor vehicle
Light Wood Household hardware Gas Auto part
Light Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle
Engineering Gas Machine Auto part Metal

Reactions: davidc

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I forgot to mention that we will be using a stock 55 4bbl intake to utilize the stock temp sending unit.

Mikey

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I am signed up for this build. Can't wait to see the final results. Just wondering, what are you going to do for a starter? Is it possible to drill and tap the 265 for a block mounted starter? From the pictures it looks like it has enough meat to allow it.

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No there is not enough flange for it. So we will be using a starter mounting plate, made for this very conversion.

Mikey

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
No there is not enough flange for it. So we will be using a starter mounting plate, made for this very conversion.

Mikey
I was not sure, been quite some time since I seen a 265 block.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,856 Posts
somebody sells a jig to drill the early block to fit a mini starter with a strait bolt pattern

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John,
Who is that "some one" or is it like "I know a guy" ???

Mikey

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,856 Posts
I saw a fixture a few years ago for doing this available from a commercial source, I just can't remember the source.

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I saw a fixture a few years ago for doing this available from a commercial source, I just can't remember the source.
OK....thanks, but I'm no closer........We will use the plate. Because it comes with the adapter for the small crank and later flywheel.
Wood Crankset Font Bicycle part Auto part

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I love this build!!! Mikey who does your plating? I need some done
These people, but I'm not sure you can ship it to them. I deliver it to them already stripped and glass beaded. So the result is great and the
turn around is very quick.

Mikey

1 - 20 of 305 Posts