Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
261 - 280 of 305 Posts

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,525 Posts
Not sure which roads you're traveling on your way to Mikey's but if you're anywhere near Janesville swing in for a few or something to eat if it's about that time. It's be nice to meet up with another tri five member

I just finished a 59 Impala for another of our tri five members which he's picking up Wednesday.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
57 210 post dressed as a Bel Air
627 Posts
Thats a sweet looking 59. I like seeing 57's, 58's and 59's sitting together at car shows just to see the evolution ofthe 50's winding down.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Please let's not get away from the reason for this thread. I don't need it going sideways....about 59's and others years.

Mickey will be here within the hour based on his last conversation and location I had with him.

Mikey

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,525 Posts
Please let's not get away from the reason for this thread. I don't need it going sideways....about 59's and others years.

Mickey will be here within the hour based on his last conversation and location I had with him.

Mikey
Didn't mean for it to go side ways Mikey. Just the offer to meet up with Mickey and maybe even 2 other tri fivers if he had the time..

Keep up the good work on Mickeys project.

·
Premium Member
57 210 post dressed as a Bel Air
627 Posts
And I shouldn't have responded, Its about their work and plans. a complex plan put together long range is amazing, cool to see all the coordination of plans and parts come together. Sorry, I'm done.

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
No harm done, I have seen this happen before and I just wanted to nip it quickly, and keep the focus on the project. Maybe I came across too stern.

This afternoon Mickey made it to the shop. He got the convertible off his trailer and he drove it into the shop. We got it semi positioned so it could be put on the lift. Before we did that we started by removing the wire harness where it was connected. Unbolted the horns and the support from the fenders. We unbolted the radiator after draining most of the coolant. Removed the support. Mickey was busy as a mad beaver removing anything he could. We removed his hood and placed it on Donovan's roof with padding to protect both. This was the best place for it to be out of the way. Battery and box, generator and carb have all been removed. The exhaust was unbolted from the manifold.
Tonight Donovan got the drive shaft removed, and spent some time under the car looking at what needed to be done so we can remove the motor and tranny first thing in the morning.

Steve came up and was here with is Nomad and Koda when Mickey arrived. Everyone got to put a face to a name and a voice. We will have some fun together as we proceed. Mickey brought TEXAS BBQ and I am planning on having it for Lunch tomorrow!!! Don't even care if they
do or not......LOL

Mikey
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window
Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Car Hood

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 · (Edited)
I have done it both ways. Even all by myself. We will be careful, and pull it off = be successful without pulling the fenders off

Mikey

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
I wondered how the convert top would make the trip going backwards, and all the winds force on the back window, and surrounding area
It is settling down for the most part.

Mikey

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 · (Edited)
Today was spent removing the I-6 and power glide. We removed the hood latch and support as well as the engine fan blade. WE had removed all of
the exhaust when it was still on the lift. The tranny mount bolts had the nuts removed. We moved the car back away from the lift and removed the motor.
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

We had only one casualty........under the body.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Mickey enjoys getting his hand dirty

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Hood Automotive tire

Without any hiccups the motor was out and the engine bay was clear.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood

We stopped for lunch. Steve brought fresh slaw and I had some grilling beans. I put the meat in the oven for 30 minutes and we
attacked it!!!!

Food Recipe Ingredient Beef Cooking
Food Tableware Ingredient Recipe Cuisine
Food Table Tableware Furniture Sharing

After lunch we pulled the distrib and set the priming tool in place to pre-oil the engine. We found several oil leaks that needed to be dealt with. So that was the end of that for today. We are getting those sealed off and hope to have the engine and tranny installed tomorrow.

I've been working on small parts that need to be addressed on some of the other things Mickey has on his list to be done while here.

More to follow tomorrow and beyond. It was a fun day for the most part, and there is plenty more TEXAS BBQ for a few more lunches!!!

Mikey

·
Premium Member
1955 Belair convertible
220 Posts
Well it's Saturday and Mikey is off to church. That gives others a chance for a day of rest. Out with the old and in with the new as they say. The I6 is on the floor and the V8 is prepared for install.
Jeans Trousers Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Green Hood

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

For those interested the rear window of the convertible top is almost back to original. I won't be towing it backwards on the way home. The weight distribution is excellent with it that way but it does rough up the rear window area.

Vehicle Car Hood Window Automotive lighting

Now we're on to getting the new engine installed and ready to run. We also pulled the old rear end and installed the 3.70 posi rear end and added a new drive shift and U joints.

Wood Floor Gas Flooring Concrete

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

We also put in a new main wire harness and instrument bezel.

Light Automotive tire Road surface Idiophone Grass

We got the engine running and did just some quick leak checks and tweaked the timing before the end on a long day. Hope to wrap up the engine install on Sunday and do some test drives.
Monday, assuming the glass arrives today, Mikey will begin replacing the 6 window panels.

A running motor.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 · (Edited)
Mickey was right I was gong to be in Church today, but my dear wife came down with some bad juju and was not able to sleep. I spent a bit of time getting her over the counter drugs, and even a home Covid test kit just to make 100% sure that was ruled out. It was NEGATIVE. I made it to Church just to deliver some things she had collected that needed to get there today. I came home and just spent a nice Sabbath resting and recharging the batteries.

Many of the things we had to deal with this week were just stupid and unexpected. Oil fittings that would not seal properly, that required extra over the top efforts to get sealed. Parts that had been modified on Mickey's car, like the convertible only LH muffler hanger that is welded to the frame. It had been cut off with a cutting torch and now I had to improvise on how to make a hanger for the LH muffler. I have a lot of parts and was able to make it work and look stock. We had to remove the previously installed rear shock mount that interfered with the new tail pipes we had as part of the NEW system for a V-8. This is critical on a convertible because with the X - frame there is little to no wiggle room. WE removed it. Installed the shocks back into the stock location. The lower mounts had been modified, and were replaced with OEM ones.

The new gas tank flange is made wider than the OEM ones and had to be custom bent.

When we installed the engine and tranny as a unit, the stock shifter linkage pivot mount on the frame prevented the mount on that side
from moving back enough. WE had no option but to cut it off. AFTER THE ENGINE AND EXHAUST WERE INSTALLED.

There were many more, but these give you a picture of some of the stress points we had to deal with this week, in a short time frame.

Tomorrow we plan to fire the motor and get the cam and lifters heat hardened (I don't like the term: Broken in) Dial the motor in and get the
tranny to shift. All while NOT having a steering column in place.

Mikey

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mikey,
I hope that Karen is feeling better. She is such a servant, and I know that being sick is no fun for her.

As in all projects of this magnitude, there are bound to be those little pesky unexpected problems. It was fun for me installing the new "Factory Fit" under-dash electrical harness on Friday. I had previously installed all new harness's on my 56 Nomad, and while they are similar, there are still some differences in the 55 wiring. The job of hookup is still not completed. Since the steering column is removed, all of the wires for the turn signals, horn, and the neutral safety switch, remain to be hooked up and tested. We also added backup lights wiring, as the car never had them since new. Mickey also bought a new radio and dual stereo speakers (mounted in the stock location), that will need to be hooked up. As he said, we fired the engine for a very short time. So, all of that wiring, and the new Pertronix electronic distributor checks out OK.

The under-dash harness has very little slack in it. So, Mikey being smaller, think (Papa Smurf), got the job of laying on the floorboards and hooking up the back of the instrument pod cluster as I told him the correct color wires for each location. I will be going back up to Mikey's shop on Monday to do some more work. Lord Willing, the engine's cam and lifters hardening process will go well tomorrow.

Steve

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Many of the things we had to deal with this week were just stupid and unexpected.
As in all projects of this magnitude, there are bound to be those little pesky unexpected problems
Given those absolute realities, it's impressive you all made as much progress as you did. No doubt the result of thoughtful planning and experience... But even so, the gremlins do their best to throw wrenches in the works.

Overstating the obvious - there's a lot more work going on here than a simple engine/trans swap!

261 - 280 of 305 Posts