Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
281 - 300 of 305 Posts

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
Overstating the obvious - there's a lot more work going on here than a simple engine/trans swap!
LOL....if you only knew.......I will post later, a list of all the things Mickey has on his "To DO" list.......beyond the engine tranny swap

Mikey

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 ·
Everything is looking good. 👍
I am sure you didn't forget to change the horn cap emblem too?????🤔
Todd
Mickey Did that before he got here.

Mikey

Reactions: Crowbarman55

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Cam Hardening process has been completed and only one small oil leak off the old oil pan drain plug. I have a replacement OEM one I had zinc
plated and a new gasket so that should fix that. No water or tranny leaks either.

WhoHOO!

Mikey, Mickey and Donovan

Reactions: FUZZY

·
Registered
1957 Sedan Delivery "Show Car"
110 Posts
Mikey, I just realized that this is a convertible, so it's a good thing that Mickey didn't buy my fuel tank--it wouldn't have fit! My car is a Sedan Delivery, and it has a vastly different tank than a sedan, coupe or convertible--it's the same tank as a Wagon . . .

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
Mikey, I just realized that this is a convertible, so it's a good thing that Mickey didn't buy my fuel tank--it wouldn't have fit! My car is a Sedan Delivery, and it has a vastly different tank than a sedan, coupe or convertible--it's the same tank as a Wagon . . .
I asked about the gas tank for use on my 55 SEDAN DELIVERY. Mickey had installed a new tank on his convertible.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
1955 Belair convertible
220 Posts
Well folks we got a lot done today Mikey has already mentioned the cam hardening . Here are a few other things. We changed oil in the engine after break-in, changed oil in the rear end, bled the brakes, installed the hood, and Mikey got a lot of parts ready for painting. There are a couple of big items yet to do. We need to complete the electrical connections, get the steering column installed and correct the temp. guage that I installed upside down . :(

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive parking light

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
New windows for the sides came in today. Steering column parts are ready to paint in the AM as soon as I get back with the color matched paint.....3rd
time will be the charm. Once it is painted and dry enough to assemble, it will be installed and adjusted to the transmission. Then we can go racing......

Still about a dozen things to do....but that is down from about 100.........and mostly minor stuff compared to where we have been

Mikey

Reactions: 55Madman

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 · (Edited)
Just a fast update. Mickey left the shop last night around 11pm. The past 3 days have been a a whirlwind. At one point I was thrashing
to get things finished so Mickey could get back to Texas. He has 20 family members coming from all parts of the country this weekend.
Any further delay was NOT an option.

I worked the past 48 hours on 2.5 hours of sleep. I will post more as photos come in from several others that have taken photos.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle
Jeans Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

I will update the thread with all the "fun" we had with carb issues, temp gauges, new speedometers and new reproduction windows that demanded much time to sort out.

Mikey

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
To mention just a few of the things we did in 8 days....LOL

BTW: The I-6 and powerglide have found new homes, as well as the rear axle assembly.

Mikey

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Mickey,
That convertible looks super! I wish that you lived closer. Things got so rushed towards the end of your time here in Wisconsin, that I never even got a ride in your car.

Steve

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
Hopefully Mickey is DRIVING it and enjoying his newfound power now... as often as possible! :)

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 · (Edited)
List of thing we did:

Replaced the motor and tranny

Installed new OEM type aluminized dual exhaust system with all OEM hangers. One I had to get creative with as the factory Convertible mount was MIA

Installed power pack fuel and brake lines on outside of the frame for dual exhaust. All OEM type

Removed poorly designed upper rear shock mount because it interfered with the new exhaust system.

Installed new under dash and engine bay OEM type wire harness

Installed new V-8 radiator support and Aluminum radiator. Blasted and painted his radiator support side panels

Installed new hood hinges

Removed his steering column, Blasted it, replaced broken parts, painted it and installed it without damage. Installed new wire harnesses and parts Matching of the paint to his interior paint required 3 trips into Green Bay for color matching

Removed instrument cluster, replace many parts on it, installed it. Had to remove it to replace the temp sending unit that stopped working with another that I had and tested it to insure it worked. NEW speedo would not go past 35 MPH so I had to remove it and play around
with it and lube it to make it work

Replaced the complete rear axle assembly with a 57 that had a posi in it.

Blead complete brake system

Installed newly rebuilt drive shaft.

Removed all 6 of the side windows and replaced them with new assemblies. This became a 20 hour job as many of the parts used were not OEM
I had to go into my supply and replace those. Reline guides. Clean and adjust and lube latches. The removal of the rear windows was made almost impossible because the pivot the window is adjusted with and held in place was rusted solid. I was able to get it out, but the adjuster bolts were too far gone to use. Donovan spent the better part of 6 hours heating those up and getting the old ones out. I had OEM replacement ones. We put everything back together and could not get the main pivot bolt to go into the eye of the quarter frame. We had to remove everything again only to find out that the reproduction hole for this bolt is not large enough. We had to drill out the hole to fit the OEM stock bolt which is special on convertibles.
The new door frames didn't match the same size and shape as the original so I had to play around with the adjustment to get them to work best I could. There were many parts missing that I had to take from my stock.

During many of these travails Donovan and Mickey took the car out on road trips to make adjustments. Even having to remove the carb and do some internal adjustment

We needed at least one more day to fine tune things but Mickey had a hard deadline as he had a family gathering planed in advance of this, so that was not possible.

Mikey, Donovan and Steve the electrician

Reactions: C57heaven

·
11,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Mickey,
That convertible looks super! I wish that you lived closer. Things got so rushed towards the end of your time here in Wisconsin, that I never even got a ride in your car.

Steve
I never got to drive it or ride in it either

Mikey

• Angry
Reactions: 55Madman
281 - 300 of 305 Posts