Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 304 stainless exh to weld up.
I need to tack some pieces together. I have a TIG, that will be used for finish welding.
The ?, for those that may have tried this:
Use the pure argon tank, & reg, on the MIG welder, with ss wire, for tacks?
Tried the argon/CO2 mix, w/ the ss wire, in the past... Didn't like the weld quality.

TIA,

·
Registered
35,555 Posts
Mig gas for stainless varies. The most common are 2% CO2, 98% argon, or a tri-gas that's 90% argon with some CO2 and other gases.

Myself I would avoid buy/renting another mix just for this job due to the expense and hassle. I would try straight argon.

I assume you are wanting to tack weld the exhaust on the car with the mig for its convenience, then remove the pipes and weld up with the tig.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,470 Posts
Unless its alot of tacks just tig it. By the time you move bottle over and swap out wire. You could be rolling along tacking it, this is were a finger trigger is handy for Tig out of position stuff. Also can scratch start it too vs using a pedal. What tig do you have?

If you must mig it then straight argon is fine for tacks and you already have it use it, if running a longer weld then 98/2 okl SS spray mig welding. The tri gas with helium is expensive so unless doing alot don't waste your money IMO.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

for the replies.
I already have both systems. So, hooking up the pure argon, is no hassle.
As for tacking w/ the TIG, at 80, I've about done my share of "contortionist activities.":sign0020:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Mig gas for stainless varies. The most common are 2% CO2, 98% argon, or a tri-gas that's 90% argon with some CO2 and other gases.

Myself I would avoid buy/renting another mix just for this job due to the expense and hassle. I would try straight argon.

I assume you are wanting to tack weld the exhaust on the car with the mig for its convenience, then remove the pipes and weld up with the tig.
Helium would be the other gas in tri mix

·
Premium Member
13,221 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Stainless takes mild wire very well and I wouldn't hesitate to use .035 at a 16.5/245 tuneup on your welder.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,470 Posts
Went by buddys exhaust shop to drop off some tips I coated, they do alot of stainless. He says they just tack in place with normal mig steel wire, then tig it with stainless rod works fine says saves time he says. He also said some jobs he will fully mig with stainless wire on car to make it easier, just depends on what it is. He uses 98/2 argon/co2 in mig setup for stainless, then 100% argon on 304 with the tig.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the headsup!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts