Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Belair Sedan, Resto-Mod, Many Upgrades
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have had a tough time seeing when using the MIG...and I read in a welding forum that using some direct overhead lighting really helps...so tonight I decided to make a Battery Box Front and Lt Side Covers from some metal...I took my 500 Watt Halogen Lights, raised them up so they would be over my shoulder and guess what? YOU CAN SEE what you are doing! Maybe you don't need them, but I will tell you...it made it easier for me. IT WON"T work directly behind you as the auto-darkening helmet immediately goes max dark and stays that way...but moving them up and sort of overhead...walla!

Hope this works for you...

Rods56:anim_25:

·
Registered
510 Posts
that also worked for me. now i need a cheater lens and the halogen light. don't know what's next. i'm at the max on the cheater lens.

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
How about..

that also worked for me. now i need a cheater lens and the halogen light. don't know what's next. i'm at the max on the cheater lens.
the braille method???:happy0030::anim_25::D

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just close your eyes and use "The Force". :sign0020:

There is a company making a small LED light that attaches on your mig gun, but a cheaper alternative is to take a small flashlight like one of the LED lights you see on the counters at the autoparts store and just strap it to the gun so that it shines on whatever you are welding.
Another often overlooked factor is how dirty or old your lens is in your helmet. Try a new lens and it will surprise you how much better you can see.

Joe

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
i watch for flashlights on sale. bought some 6 led for 98 cents at home depot. we tape them to the blasting nozzle . when they quit i just chunk them and grab a new one. beats 300 for a light. i've had a light stand for many years. built it before the auto helmets came out. they really do work .

·
Registered
295 Posts
old eyes

Here is something we came up with...grabbed a 'hard hat' style, head band l.e.d. light that we had...fully adjustable, pinpoint accruacy, brighter than heck, works with mig, tig, stick...the process does not effect the lense on the l e d..the whole helmet can be picked up by the light...the duct tape holds it fine..removed in a second...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts