Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Update: Working with the VA has not been an easy thing. Having 6 years of intense medical training made this all the more difficult. Finally this past week end my health was going down hill fast. The pain I was dealing with was like what a mother is going through when she is in the final stages of birthing. I could not eat sleep or function. I called the VA and after 8 hours they called me back to "discuss" my issues. After this they advised me to get myself down to the VA hospital in Milwaukee. 2 hour drive one way, just so they could see me. My wife was at work, the 2 young girls we have taken into our home to shelter from bad family problems were also either in school or at work. For me just up and leaving on a 2 hour road trip was not possible. I suffered on......Thursday morning came with another call from the VA that they could get me into see a Doctor on Monday the 26th at 2 pm. Mind you I have been "awake" for the better part of 48 hours and in severe pain. I flipped out and flat told them that was not going to happen. They put me on hold and then came back and told me If I could get there by 10, they would put me on a waiting list. What the crap! Again told them this is not going to happen. Put on hold again........Next I talk to a nurse practitioner and she finally told me to get to the hospital. After discussing this with the family my wife took me in and dropped me off.

Test were done. Blood work all came back text book fine. CT scan of my abdomen revealed damage to my small intestine just as it exits my stomach. Cause: Stress! Duh.......the past year has been a nightmare for me after my surgery. Getting behind on work and customers making demands of my time........and they have the right to do that.........but not knowing what I was dealing with behind the scene. ..........!

So Final diagnosis: Change my diet and eliminate all acidic and spicy food.......No Mexican! Take acid blocker and coating agents to protect the small intestine while it heals. Follow up with a full GI work up to make sure every thing is in order looking from the inside out.

So now I will be paying more attention to what and WHEN I eat. Eliminating the JOB stress in my life.........All the while attempting to continue to make a living because I am not a rich man and paying work I must continue to do.

Thank You! to all those that offered prayers, good thoughts, happy feeling and well wishes. They have all been heart warming.

Scripture tells me that God, that began a good work in me, has not quit. I must now focus more on me and some what less on pleasing all the others........which runs counter to the way I am built.

Mikey

Reactions: ETriggs

·
Premium Member
4,832 Posts
Mikey, thank you for the positive update! I had been worrying about you ever since you told me about your health issue. I'm glad the solution is an easy one in just watching your diet and taking some meds, instead of surgery. The stuff you have of mine in your shop, THERE'S NO RUSH ON IT! Your health comes first!

·
Premium Member
10,815 Posts
You are going to be OK here buddy. You and I have often talked about diet so the change you have to make will go just fine. I know, been there, done that, and some of those changes I made were a direct result of our conversations. So it appears that we both will be following the Mikey diet. BTW, Mexican, you will be able to eat Mexican again, just not the way you have been. It will be a change, you told me what to change, so I know it will be fine. You can do this!

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
9,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
You are going to be OK here buddy. You and I have often talked about diet so the change you have to make will go just fine. I know, been there, done that, and some of those changes I made were a direct result of our conversations. So it appears that we both will be following the Mikey diet. BTW, Mexican, you will be able to eat Mexican again, just not the way you have been. It will be a change, you told me what to change, so I know it will be fine. You can do this!
Mike,
While diet is some of the change, it is not the most significant. I drink a lot of juice that is acidic.....not any more. Some other things I enjoy also are acidic and now off the table or infrequent.
The biggest factor is the stress I need to learn to not internalize as much......

I am glad our conversation about a Bible based diet has helped you, any time I can help you, you know who to ask.

Mikey

·
Premium Member
10,815 Posts
I do! But now its time for you to heal, and yes, no high acid juices, no late night eating, lower stress, higher fiber foods, you know the drill because you gave it to me, lol! And you were right.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I hope you’re getting good advice and feeling better. I would like to pass on something that is almost a miracle cure, at least for me. Guava juice! Usually you can fine in any supermarket. We were on a trip to Ixtapa Mexico and I got a case of the Aztec Two Step. My wife was talking to the lady at reception and she took her to a local store and got some Guava baby food and juice. I was all set in less than 24 hours! Saved the trip. Good for acid Indigestion, the trots, or what ails ya! Nothing to loose so if you can find it give it a try. Tastes best cold. We all need you back on your feet but cutting back to 40 hours sounds like a plan too! Get better Mikey we are all pulling for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Mikey, best Wishes for a speedy recovery from Kaye & I.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Mikey,

About 15 years ago I had severe GERD, heartburn, and a few other issues. Anything I ate caused pain and I was miserable. This went on for about a year and I went to several gastro doctors.
They all told me I would probably be on Prilosec or something similar for the rest of my life. I stubbornly refused. I knew instinctively that something was out of whack but didn’t know how to fix it.

My wife was told by a guy at a health food store about a book/eating plan that really worked. I felt I had nothing to lose, so I read the book and went on an awful diet that allowed zero sugars or yeast for 60 days. I was desperate, so I stuck to it religiously. It was so hard at first, but it worked like a freaking miracle! It completely healed my gastro issues and in the 15+ years since I have not had one case of real heartburn or GERD. I can eat anything with no issues.

I have shared it with a few people and they also had great results. The book was a Godsend for me. I put this out there for Mikey and anyone else that may be suffering from similar issues.

Reactions: OldybutGoody

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
A little late here but prayers to you and your family for some relief from your pain and stress. I lived with stress for years, and it can take its toll. I found diet and exercise is what is generally recommended for change. One good thing for me was just taking time out every day either just going for a walk, sitting on the deck looking at nature, or just being quiet somewhere without interruption. amazing how the blood pressure drops during those periods. I was getting the same things as you. First thing doc's said was here, take this.....I am not a take this kinda guy.

Get well

·
Registered
81 Posts
I really enjoy your insight and tacit knowledge. Prayers for a full recovery.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts