Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to begin a build thread as if I was building my convertible today. I will post photos of the photos I took during most of my restoration. This is to
document for those that want to see, the vast quantity of NOS parts I used on this car. As well as the restoration process that spanned 23 years.
In many cases, I had multiple NOS parts to chose from. These photos were taken by me using a 35 mm still camera before digital or cell phone
photography even existed.

Today's post is just the beginning showing the 3 photo albums I have. These were all on display when it was shown.

This convertible was located in Houston Texas in the early 80's in a lean to shed, that leaned more than it shed. About the only thing I could say was it was complete
and in my price range. $2750.00

Mikey
Brown Window Rectangle Fixture Wood
Hood Automotive design Eyewear Motor vehicle Wood
Rectangle Sunglasses Textile Orange Wood
Rectangle Amber Orange Wood Font
Amber Orange Rectangle Wood Font

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm going to begin a build thread as if I was building my convertible today. I will post photos of the photos I took during most of my restoration. This is to
document for those that want to see, the vast quantity of NOS parts I used on this car. As well as the restoration process that spanned 23 years.
In many cases, I had multiple NOS parts to chose from. These photos were taken by me using a 35 mm still camera before digital or cell phone
photography even existed.

Today's post is just the beginning showing the 3 photo albums I have. These were all on display when it was shown.

This convertible was located in Houston Texas in the early 80's in a lean to shed, that leaned more than it shed. About the only thing I could say was it was complete
and in my price range. $2750.00
That was a very good idea to document everything, especially w/pics Kudos to you !!!!
Mikey
View attachment 347502 . View attachment 347504 View attachment 347505 View attachment 347506 View attachment 347507

·
Administrator
66,902 Posts
The hunt to source and locate the car you are looking for is alway exciting, then the build as long as it doesnt turn into a start/stop more stop and place on hold rather than get to the finish line is alway enjoyable, keep the updates coming

·
Registered
68,429 Posts
thanks for sharing Mikey.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It would also be interesting to hear your observations about what it would be like to do that restoration now; are there less NOS parts to be found? Has the reproduction market helped this sort of project? Etc.

·
10,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have told many guys that if yo came to me with 1 million dollars and wanted me to duplicate this convertible exactly as mine is, but in a different color, I could not spend all that money. The quantity and
quality of the NOS parts used on this build are just not out there to be had. Some of the reproduction parts are very good, but most are not exact.

I spent over 5000 man hours on this build over a 23 year period. You do the math on any labor rate today and figure the cost of that.

Add in the cost of chrome plating, interior work, glass, paint, engine and tranny work. You get a good picture of the cost today to replicate it, if you have a very nice 100% complete car to begin with.

Mikey

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,709 Posts
Honestly, that car belongs in a museum as an example of what those cars looked like new.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
"Honestly, that car belongs in a museum as an example of what those cars looked like new."

That is very true! But Mikey has added so many options, that it is doubtful that many left the dealership so well equipped.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Obviously no comparison to out the factory door quality. Bet ya can not throw a Cat through the gaps.
Fit, Finish and Accessories over the top.
Just curious as to mileage prior to restoration, and miles since restoration ?
Stretch.

·
10,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just curious as to mileage prior to restoration, and miles since restoration ?
Stretch.
No Idea as the speedo that came with it was not the one the factory installed. Currently 3.4 miles......it is not a driver. These miles were when I took my folks for a short ride into my local town
and home......only time it has been driven more than in and out of a trailer or a short trip at a show.

Mikey

1 - 14 of 14 Posts