Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
'57 210 4dr sedan 383/700R4
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped out a bad OEM starter on one of my toys the other day. The solenoid that came out had 3 terminals; Battery, Start, and Run. The mini-starter the I put in only has 2 terminals and no diagram/instructions in the box. I know that the Battery terminal gets the hot battery lead, so no issue there. Having no place else to put them, I put both the Start and Run leads on the single remaining terminal. (The engine has HEI, no ballast resistor, and OEM wiring harness). Now the starter works (it didn't before), but it starts cranking as soon as the ignition switch is in the Run position but it won't start. Wouldn't even crank before, so I suppose it's an improvement. I know that the Start lead goes to the 2nd terminal but where does the Run lead go to now??

· Registered
3,691 Posts
if you're running HEI the distributor gets it's 12 volts from ignition switch directly. only need the S terminal wire to kick solenoid in to engage starter. Don't know for sure on a 57 but on a 55 ignition 1 & ignition 2 on the switch gets jumpered together and goes directly to the HEI.

· Registered
38,878 Posts
Don't know for sure on a 57
A 57 has an "R" terminal like everything else up through 74 (last year of points and ballast resistors/wires). 75 up starters don't have the R terminal - this is the same as the "2 wire" aftermarket starter mentioned. If you need a ballast resistor bypass, you need to wire in a relay that's engergized by the "S" terminal.

· Registered
3,691 Posts
A 57 has an "R" terminal like everything else up through 74 (last year of points and ballast resistors/wires). 75 up starters don't have the R terminal - this is the same as the "2 wire" aftermarket starter mentioned. If you need a ballast resistor bypass, you need to wire in a relay that's engergized by the "S" terminal.
as I said, I was only referring to how I had to jumper my 2 ignition terminals on my 55 to use HEI. got rid of the ballast resistor and coil so the R wire wasn't necessary. Now that I've updated my harness with AAW it's already figured in the new harness with a dedicated HEI and tach wire

· Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,392 Posts
If I understand properly, the Run wire in the OEM harness can be left unconnected and just tied off. Is that correct?
Yes, that is correct, as most do it that way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts