Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting my 406 ready to install in the fall. I am looking at mini starters and the prices are all over the map. $50 to $275. Any recommendations, this will be a manual transmission with 9.5 to 1 compression.

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
I like the gm permenent magnet starters used on the later model gm trucks I have had great luck with the 79.99 ones on ebay.

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Summit

We are running the low priced Summit house brand mini starter. It's not a powerhouse but gets the job done. 9.0 compression.

Be sure the starter you choose fits the starter pad bolt pattern on your engine, straight or staggered, and is compatible with the flywheel diameter. Having one that allows you to re-clock the motor position is handy.

Run an adequate diameter battery cable.

:anim_25:

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
on a 55 I had, used a powermax high torque starter ($150). was a 327 with headers, fit 153 or 168 flywheel. worked great. :tu

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I have used permanent magnet starters on two projects over the years. One was a new import, which surprisingly stills works after 6 years. The other was actually rebuilt by AC Delco. They are available for 153T and 168T flywheels/flexplates.

AC Delco part numbers:

153T
10465143 93-94 LT1
10465293 95-97 LT1

168T
10465167 94-98 5.7L truck

If I bought an aftermarket mini starter, it would be one with a name brand. IMI starters are made in California and their customer support is top notch.
http://www.hitorque.com.
I sold a used one to a guy who sent it to IMI to have it checked out. They charged him something like $25 to rebuild it.:tu

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I think mini-starters were designed for clearance issues and high compression engines. If you need it for those reasons, then you should have it. As for me, I prefer the factory starter if fitting is possible. My engines never exceeded 9-9.5:1 compression and never had a problem turning them over. Had a mini-starter on my 8.1:1 sbc 406 and it never meshed properly. Tried shimming and just couldn't get it to where I was happy with it. I don't recall the brand name but I bought it through either Jegs or Summit.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Keep away from the chinese imported ones, its a hit & miss with them.
There is an exception to your assertion.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/

I have starters and alternators from this vendor on 2 BBC's. 9.2 compression on one and 10.4 on the other.

Primarily a Chevelle guy, I camp out on Chevelles.com for advice and testimonials on parts from the highly respected tech guys over there.

There are numerous posts regarding the linked vendor's products and for the few issues experienced by members - the customer service response was beyond satisfactory.

p.s. I do have the original starter (recently overhauled) on the numbers matching '66. Some things ARE sacred. :angel:

·
Registered
296 Posts
There is an exception to your assertion.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/

I have starters and alternators from this vendor on 2 BBC's. 9.2 compression on one and 10.4 on the other.

Primarily a Chevelle guy, I camp out on Chevelles.com for advice and testimonials on parts from the highly respected tech guys over there.

There are numerous posts regarding the linked vendor's products and for the few issues experienced by members - the customer service response was beyond satisfactory.

p.s. I do have the original starter (recently overhauled) on the numbers matching '66. Some things ARE sacred. :angel:
I have purchased from DB and they are great. Very helpful and great pricing.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
FYI... this is the starter I use for the 168 tooth flywheel/flexplate: $55 and free shipping.
I sure hate to see us send our money to China when there are US-made alternatives.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
We are running the low priced Summit house brand mini starter. It's not a powerhouse but gets the job done. 9.0 compression.

Be sure the starter you choose fits the starter pad bolt pattern on your engine, straight or staggered, and is compatible with the flywheel diameter. Having one that allows you to re-clock the motor position is handy.

Run an adequate diameter battery cable.

:anim_25:
Using the same starter with 10.7. No problems

1 - 16 of 16 Posts