Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see Danchuk has mini tubs at abotu $345 each that add 3 inches - anyone have thoughts and experiences? Do they save $345 EACH of tiem and effort? Finish?:confused0024:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I think that unless you are doing a high dollar build or are paying someone to install them for you, I would do the cut and paste method. I'll probably end up doing mine like 2loose did on his. 'Just' add a strip the width you want to widen.

His build thread is here: http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31254&page=10

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The ones offered through Danchuks are made by Williams classic chassis. If you have bad wheel tub rust, I think they are a good alternative... Some don't like the look of the aftermarket tub, I didn't mind.

Good luck

Gil

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Widening original style tubs is a fair amount of work. I probably spent one week of evenings, plus a saturday and sunday doing each side on my car. I added 3.25" and reshaped/butwelded and sanded both sides to make the modifications difficult to find.

I think it mostly depends on the finished product you hope to achieve. I plan to paint my trunk and make it look untouched when finished.
(Note the screws in the bottom photo. It wasn't welded out at time of photo)

·
Registered
36,123 Posts
You aren't going to save a lot of time by buying tubs. One 6' long weld on each side is eliminated.

Of course if yours are rusty, that's another story, you need something to put there.

The Williams tubs are going to give you more of a race car look, which I guess some want.

Another way to do it besides the cut, move over, and weld in a strip method is to use a repro tub. Cut it wide, and cut the old one wide - weld together with one seam.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks feaals, wicked pictures and great replies:wavey:

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Blown 502 , nice work.... and to the others, Rick is right, I bet it is nearly the same amount of work to do either modification, I had a fair amount of rust, as you can see in the pictures.... a few floor panels also needed fixing, not too difficult but did take some time. Of coarse, the tub project morphs very quickly into fixing the outer wheel tub area and the panels that seal to the quarter.

I'm glad I did it though.
Good luck

Gil

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Blown 502 , nice work.... and to the others, Rick is right, I bet it is nearly the same amount of work to do either modification, I had a fair amount of rust, as you can see in the pictures.... a few floor panels also needed fixing, not too difficult but did take some time. Of coarse, the tub project morphs very quickly into fixing the outer wheel tub area and the panels that seal to the quarter.

Good luck

Gil

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Good luck

Gil
Another Springsteen fan

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Also if you plan on relocating he springs as well you will loose the Spare tire well too. Just in case that mattered to ya!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts