Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Third time I've gotten on TriFive in the last five weeks. That's when I got broadsided by a petition that a union was trying to unionize my company of 260 employees. Forty three years of busting my can to have these parasites trying to get my employees to start paying their dues. I'm not busting any union members balls if they belong to a union. I'm ragging on the union organizer scum buckets that use any underhanded trick they can to get employees to vote them in. They have attacked me personally, and use organizers inside the company to harass and threaten employees to help them vote them in. I have already fired three managers for allowing or helping this to happen. They are now on an unemployment line. I have also fired an employee for giving out confidential company information. Others are their final warning to quit harassing fellow workers.
We have grown from 130 employees to our current 260. Of course we're going to have growing pains. But we're working them out. We have at least 100 employees with anywhere from six to 22 years with the company. I just gave arards to about 30 employees with over ten years experience with the company. So now the union has selected some malcontents and trying to get those with less seniority and lower wages to help them vote the union in. In case of a reduction in force, guess who the union wants laid off first. LIFO's...last in, first out! And since they're earning the least, the union wants to keep the higher dues paying employees.
I am paying almost $1,500.00 an hour for two sets of attorneys and a consultant to keep my employees from falling into a union trap. The NLRB allows the union liberties that border on criminal. City and county officials that really know what a business like mine means to their economic development cannot get involved with business disputes, but they are also aware I can shut my business down. My business has done well for me and I just hope my employees make the right decision..
Bob

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Wishing you the best of luck!! Unions are nothing more than legal organized crime. Ingrates in your employment have no idea the impact a union has on corporations, especially , (not slighting your company) but especially smaller corporations. They make demands that can bankrupt you and then the dummies who helped usher it in are out of a job completely. You get forced to pay exorbitant wages and benefits that force your product price up and sales diminish because customers can't afford the product or service. Having employees with 22 years with your company tells me it must be a pretty good place to work. Younger generation these days are naive and greedy. Not willing to work their way up, wanting what it took veteran employees years to attain. Where I live in MO right on the Mississippi River we have a huge shipyard that builds barges. The county's largest employer with over 3000 employees. They voted in a union and the company closed it's doors, layed off every employee and threatened to move all operations to a place in Arkansas which is a right to work state. Needless to say they busted the union and 25 yrs later it has never been attempted again to unionize.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Unfortunately, $1500 per hour sounds like a bargain, relative to the pitfalls you're up against.

I have never been in a union, never worked in a union shop, and never owned a business with employees. But, I do know laws vary widely from state to state.

The South traditionally has had much weaker union-supportive law than the North. I have no idea what the situation is in California. But, as a business owner, there's certain things you can and cannot do, depending on where you're located.

You might be tempted to say "screw it" and shut down your whole business. But, you'd better get the okay from your attorneys first. Even firing employees that are giving you trouble is tricky. The one giving away company confidential information - yeah, that one you can back up. Other situations are trickier, and might get you sued.

Move forward, but be careful, Bob. Good luck with navigating this situation.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
Unions and owners are wired differently. Not all owners are great employers and all Unions are not out to hurt employers. Closing up shop due to a collective bargaining agreement is rare. A successful person like Bob has many liabilities he overcomes every single day and payroll is just one of them. I can not in any way relate to what a multimillion dollar company is like to steer through such an engrossing and daunting transition but I know a healthy company can and will survive this.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your words of support guys. It's been tough since I first heard a petition had been voted in. The managers that got busted are the one's that could have told me what was going on, and didn't. The one hourly that got canned was posting confidential information on FaceBook, on company time...how stupid is that? We have filed a ULP against her. With about 8 years experience she was being groomed for a manager's position.
As some members here know, I have been thinking of expanding to AZ for at least a couple of years. I didn't know it then, but I know it now, AZ is a Right To Work state. From what I understand, the union can't stop me from moving there as we have been planning this before this fiasco got started. A couple of factories across the border are chomping at the bit to form a partnership, and our best customer has offered us an opportunity to move to Malaysia. They will be coming to visit us in July and we feel it will be to check out our capacity for more work.
What I'm paying now is nothing compared to what my company had to pay for keeping my employees safe during the pandemic. We have paid for up to four inoculations for each of our employees, plus restructuring our building and improving our AC filtration system...live and learn
Bob

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, we've heard one side of the story.
Please allow me to tell you what I've heard of their side of the story. They are complaining because they have to pay for 10% of their health insurance. They are complaining about working too much overtime. Hourly employees beginning with trainees that enjoy the overtime are earning from $45K to over $60K. They complain about lack of opportunity to advance where every leadman and supervisor has been promoted from within. Our administrative open positions are first posted for our employees to apply for.
We have growing pains, but when we go from 130 employees, pre-pandemic to over 260 employees in two years, and now the NLRB has tied our hands as far as promoting or helping our employees in any way...go figger.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks for your words of support guys. It's been tough since I first heard a petition had been voted in. The managers that got busted are the one's that could have told me what was going on, and didn't. The one hourly that got canned was posting confidential information on FaceBook, on company time...how stupid is that? We have filed a ULP against her. With about 8 years experience she was being groomed for a manager's position.
As some members here know, I have been thinking of expanding to AZ for at least a couple of years. I didn't know it then, but I know it now, AZ is a Right To Work state. From what I understand, the union can't stop me from moving there as we have been planning this before this fiasco got started. A couple of factories across the border are chomping at the bit to form a partnership, and our best customer has offered us an opportunity to move to Malaysia. They will be coming to visit us in July and we feel it will be to check out our capacity for more work.
What I'm paying now is nothing compared to what my company had to pay for keeping my employees safe during the pandemic. We have paid for up to four inoculations for each of our employees, plus restructuring our building and improving our AC filtration system...live and learn
Bob
be careful of parties chomping at the bit. It's been known for SOME to facilitate situations like yours to get you in a situation to have to bail out and they swoop in and do the buying.

Reactions: Trifecta

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Geez Bob. I was just about to say move! And you beat me to it. What will it take for people to realize the State of California is driving people away?
Actually, it's driving businesses away. The unions aren't helping. I love California. Third generation Californian, and I am proud of what I have done for economic development. The voting began this week, and the counting will be on the 27th. One way or the other. Things will never be the same. My company is too well founded for the union to really hurt me, but I feel sorry for my employees if they win. What will those employees do that are used to earning $40K to $60K and haven't squirreled any of it away for emergencies...or strikes. The union going to help them pay for the new homes or new cars or pay for their medical coverage? My business is in a high unemployment, poverty level of California. I guess I'll have to realize where I'm not wanted.
Bob

·
Registered
891 Posts
Bob I have a company in California with about 100 employees and went through a union vote years back, our employees said no by a large margin. What is scary is often employees don't understand what they are signing as the union has very tricky way's to get them to sign authorization card, back when it happened to me they only needed 50% to sign authorization cards and you were in the election. Please listen to your attorney and be careful what you say, even on this board, you may get unionized without having a election. It was very stressful going through a election and the tactics a union can use during that time will make your head spin. I'm only telling you this because I feel you need to walk very carefully with this, yes I was angry too but I had to stop and do things the right way. As I said we did not get unionized but it cost me money to fight it and good labor attorney that deals with union elections will be your best friend. Jeff

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Please allow me to tell you what I've heard of their side of the story. They are complaining because they have to pay for 10% of their health insurance. They are complaining about working too much overtime. Hourly employees beginning with trainees that enjoy the overtime are earning from $45K to over $60K. They complain about lack of opportunity to advance where every leadman and supervisor has been promoted from within. Our administrative open positions are first posted for our employees to apply for.
We have growing pains, but when we go from 130 employees, pre-pandemic to over 260 employees in two years, and now the NLRB has tied our hands as far as promoting or helping our employees in any way...go figger.
10% contribution for healthcare is nothing. I paid 30%+/-. Plus the co-pays and deductibles. US health care is INSURANCE, most $$ goes to advertising, CEO, stockholders, triple bookkeeping etc. Small percent to healthcare. Nowadays everyone feels they need to be promoted way too early. Consider the move, or just close it down. End you stress - life to too short.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Remember TIPS. Can’t threaten, interrogate, promise or spy! Went thru this years ago.
Larry
Pretty sell engrained Larry. The union rule new employees need to remember is LIFO...Last In, First Out. TIPS was the very first flyer I received from my consultant.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,752 Posts
just because they vote in a union does not mean you have to accept it. period. tell them you are a non union shop and take it or leave it. Ca is a right to work state just like AZ, my employer reminds me of this annually. . Tell the union to FO and file a restraining order against them requiring a 1 mile distance from you place of business

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just because they vote in a union does not mean you have to accept it. period. tell them you are a non union shop and take it or leave it. Ca is a right to work state just like AZ, my employer reminds me of this annually. . Tell the union to FO and file a restraining order against them requiring a 1 mile distance from you place of business
Your employer is BS'ing you. CA is not a Right To Work State, Fact Jack!!!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.