Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
my benefits are funded through money contributed by hours worked with a separate fund for unreimbursed medical also from hours worked along with an annuity,
We can still collect SS and we also have a full survivor ship so spouse or whoever is alocated will continue when I fade away. All members pay for each other….. we pay our 15 officials through the same funding and then the international gets their kick as well . My pay was 33.50 with a total cost of employer around 135 give our take . I’m happy and it allowed me to raise a family. I still pay dues as an active member but on wife’s insurance and can use my funds to offset out of pocket . Much happier with the pay cut to less than minimum wage having my own thumb in my back😎 and making enough to pay the bills 💵.
Still not sure how that works BW, Kind of involved. My Dad retired from "The City" at age 64, and took his retirement pay in one lump sum, which he wasted away in no time. My Mom retired about the same time but she kept her retirement going, They both had SS coming in plus a stipend my wife and I began giving both our parents while they were still in their '50's. After they retired, we upped the stipend to $500 a month each. We told them it was to use to help them enjoy their retirement. My Mom used it to pay for their burial plots and pay off their bills. This continued for many years (they all lived to be 96, MIL is still alive) until my sister told me they were a soft touch for siblings and grandkids. We stopped the stipend, but continued paying for home repairs and caregivers. None of my other 5 siblings ever contributed anything permanent towards their retirement. I never held it against them. Before my Mom passed away two years ago she told me, look out for your brothers. I'm the oldest. They all know I am there for them.
I gifted my son one third of my company. My daughter lives rent free in a 4plex she will some day own, We just leased out a 3br/2ba unit next to hers for $3,250.00. They jumped on it, as here in Silicon Valley that is under market. We helped put all of our four grandkids through college. Many of my long term employees that began with nothing have told of what they have accomplished. One of my long term employees, a single mom, decided to take a sabbatical to stay at one of her three homes and care for her teenage daughter. I heard she is helping the union. She called another long term employee for union support. This lady she called was also a single mom, raised four kids by herself and now has her own home. She quickly told the ex employee where to go...I just don't know...

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Still not sure how that works BW, Kind of involved. My Dad retired from "The City" at age 64, and took his retirement pay in one lump sum, which he wasted away in no time. My Mom retired about the same time but she kept her retirement going, They both had SS coming in plus a stipend my wife and I began giving both our parents while they were still in their '50's. After they retired, we upped the stipend to $500 a month each. We told them it was to use to help them enjoy their retirement. My Mom used it to pay for their burial plots and pay off their bills. This continued for many years (they all lived to be 96, MIL is still alive) until my sister told me they were a soft touch for siblings and grandkids. We stopped the stipend, but continued paying for home repairs and caregivers. None of my other 5 siblings ever contributed anything permanent towards their retirement. I never held it against them. Before my Mom passed away two years ago she told me, look out for your brothers. I'm the oldest. They all know I am there for them.
I gifted my son one third of my company. My daughter lives rent free in a 4plex she will some day own, We just leased out a 3br/2ba unit next to hers for $3,250.00. They jumped on it, as here in Silicon Valley that is under market. We helped put all of our four grandkids through college. Many of my long term employees that began with nothing have told of what they have accomplished. One of my long term employees, a single mom, decided to take a sabbatical to stay at one of her three homes and care for her teenage daughter. I heard she is helping the union. She called another long term employee for union support. This lady she called was also a single mom, raised four kids by herself and now has her own home. She quickly told the ex employee where to go...I just don't know...

Whens the vote?

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
wow....bet most of your employees wished they could do that for their families....don't think the union will hurt you at all...

·
Premium Member
14,289 Posts
A very complicated issue that always raises some hackles...on both sides. Along with many others here I've worked both sides of that mud pit, and both can stink at times. The one biggest plus for employers in some union situations is that all labor costs are exactly the same. What it takes is good management guesses at hours needed per job. Some are really good at it, but some totally suck, and those are the most likely to complain about union wages.

No one likes change Bob especially if it's forced. I feel your pain. Hang tough and see how it works out before jumping ship. You might see a sliver of bright light in there somewhere if it comes to pass. After all it's still YOUR business. Best wishes buddy.

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
wow....bet most of your employees wished they could do that for their families....don't think the union will hurt you at all...
Don't know why they can't. They've been given a better head start than I had. That's the reason I brought my business back to this area. We have taken field workers and kids fresh out of college and given them the opportunity I never had. I sure hope you're not implying I was born with a silver spoon in my mouth?
Some guys here spent their money building hot rods. I spent mine keeping my '62 Falcon running in order to get to work.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Bob, in no way am I attacking you personally. I'm just saying the way I feel and have seen over the years. I believe you have worked for what you have and you deserve it. How many of your family members work for your company?

·
Registered
7,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
Bob, in no way am I attacking you personally. I'm just saying the way I feel and have seen over the years. I believe you have worked for what you have and you deserve it. How many of your family members work for your company?
Your question is personal, and has no bearing related to unions or their need. Which is what this thread is all about. It has been great to learn the pro's and cons from all over the United States, from the Soutrh to the North. From the East to the West.
I am very glad every thing has remained civil.
Bob

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
All I can say is continue to be an honest person and you’ll be fine.

The union is only about being fair to the employee and equally fair to the contractors, yes it can be bum protection but they try to be civil and give chances but even bums have to be accountable!!

Were you ever contacted from the union rep with a proposal or contract of any sort . What are they looking for that you haven’t been able to provide????

From what I’ve seen in this thread you take care of your own as we all do. That’s what everybody wants , it’s just getting there that can be difficult in this day and age…..

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
All I can say is continue to be an honest person and you’ll be fine.

The union is only about being fair to the employee and equally fair to the contractors, yes it can be bum protection but they try to be civil and give chances but even bums have to be accountable!!

Were you ever contacted from the union rep with a proposal or contract of any sort . What are they looking for that you haven’t been able to provide????

From what I’ve seen in this thread you take care of your own as we all do. That’s what everybody wants , it’s just getting there that can be difficult in this day and age…..
If he is taking care of them, then why do they need a union? To gouge his business for unreasonable "benefits " and forced raises instead of him managing it himself like he has for as long as his business has been open?
I'm sure those other employees can't wait to pay those union dues.

I'd either close up shop or fire every [Edited for masked language by chevman57] person wanting to unionize, it's his business, not theirs, not the government.

If it's so bad working for him , go work elsewhere, nobody is holding a gun to their head...

Here is the most non-political article I could find

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
If he is taking care of them, then why do they need a union? To gouge his business for unreasonable "benefits " and forced raises instead of him managing it himself like he has for as long as his business has been open?
I'm sure those other employees can't wait to pay those union dues.

I'd either close up shop or fire every person wanting to unionize, it's his business, not theirs, not the government.

If it's so bad working for him , go work elsewhere, nobody is holding a gun to their head...

Here is the most non-political article I could find

That’s the question I asked?
Some one is feeling slighted hence his new found issue.

·
Registered
344 Posts
To union members, is the money you retire on, money that you put into it plus interest, or does the union kick in a share, and is that share the union pays made up from members still paying their dues? Can you still collect SS from what you earned on union pay? Just curious.
for a union painter dues is $44 a month.
of course you get social security on union pay and its based on income taxes you pay in...
the pension fund works just like the ss ,members pay into it while working and collect from it when retired
so for example lets say your ss is $2800 and pension is $3200 that equals $6000 a month
you may only have cleared $5000 a month while working so in some cases financially you do better when retired..
then also money get put into annuity fund(similar to 401k)
vacation and holiday pay..
medical coverage for you and your family,dental and eye care..

when i was working non-union there was less pressure, more time to complete jobs
no medical, no 401k, no security , if my boss decided to close shop or heaven forbids drop dead..
i would be left holding a sack of coal... 😩
if i had a choice, would i go back working non-union???? not in a million years...🤣

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't post here a lot, look almost daily, that being said I've seen far less controversial posts get shut down on stevesnova site much quicker. This is as close to a political discussion as I've seen here. It also seems there are a lot of union bashers here, just remember if you're a working guy union or not you can thank unions for your 40 hour work week amongst 100 other things (most safety related). Anyone who says "unions had their place but not today" should just look around and at other things and see how history has a way of repeating itself. I am a union employee, currently a teacher (yes ya'll hate that one) but that union keeps the city from just getting rid of me in favor of some entry level millennial who they can pay 50K less a year to. That plus great health and retirement benefits make dealing with peoples poorly behaved kids bearable. Now as for the poster who started this my opinion is no one tries bringing a union into a perfectly well run business, everyone is nice behind a keyboard or a car show. My first union job was a Toyota dealer, the owner was the nicest guy ever, a union would have been laughed off the premises. Then his kid took over the business, was the most vile human (if you could call him that) ever, made the place a living hell. To this day I am beyond proud to be the main reason we got a union drive going, got it voted in and all our lives were even better than they ever were under his dad. Hence and I repeat, there are 3 sides to every story, yours, mine, and the truth, and that applies everywhere in life.

·
Administrator
50,193 Posts
Bruinfan66, i have not seen any post in this thread that was anywhere near political. And trust me, it is on every admins radar, and has been monitored since the 1swt hour it was posted.
Terry

·
Registered
17 Posts
Bruinfan66, i have not seen any post in this thread that was anywhere near political. And trust me, it is on every admins radar, and has been monitored since the 1swt hour it was posted.
Terry
You misunderstood, a topic like this is as close to political as I can think of, you have people on either side of the aisle that are pretty passionate about their stance.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.