Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for information on the largest 15" tire (modern type) available to fit the stock trifive wagon spare tire well. I'd like as tire as wide as possible for the stock wagon rim, which will fit in the spare tire well.. preferable diameter of 27" or so...? Has anyone addressed this problem and found a suitable tire?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm looking for information on the largest 15" tire (modern type) available to fit the stock trifive wagon spare tire well. I'd like as tire as wide as possible for the stock wagon rim, which will fit in the spare tire well.. preferable diameter of 27" or so...? Has anyone addressed this problem and found a suitable tire?
Assuming your tire wheel is of the same dimensions as my 55 210, then the max width that will fit is 7 inches. I found a tire at Coker (which I have yet to buy) which is a 670-5 with a 7 inch max width and a 27.6 diameter. I believe the part number is 568799.

·
Premium Member
15,901 Posts
I have a G-78-15 on a stock rim in my 55 wagon, It is tight but it fits.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Assuming your tire wheel is of the same dimensions as my 55 210, then the max width that will fit is 7 inches. I found a tire at Coker (which I have yet to buy) which is a 670-15 with a 7 inch max width and a 27.6 diameter. I believe the part number is 568799.
If it's a 670-15, it would definitely fit (std size for '55-56), in fact up to a 7.10 should fit as the 7.10-15 was an optional tire size for wagons of that era (if I recall correctly).. :)

Most places don't sell in those sizes nowadays; instead I need a size of the type... 205-75/15 or similar?? so what is the largest size in metric measure that will fit? Bruce's G78-15 is probably a maximum size that will fit, as he says, but you can't buy 78 series tires in most places either... tire stores only sell metric measure widths these days..

·
Premium Member
15,901 Posts
If it's a 670-15, it would definitely fit (std size for '55-56), in fact up to a 7.10 should fit as the 7.10-15 was an optional tire size for wagons of that era (if I recall correctly).. :)

Most places don't sell in those sizes nowadays; instead I need a size of the type... 205-75/15 or similar?? so what is the largest size in metric measure that will fit? Bruce's G78-15 is probably a maximum size that will fit, as he says, but you can't buy 78 series tires in most places either... tire stores only sell metric measure widths these days..
I have a friend with a 56 Nomad and he carries a big donut tire as a spare. Like he says, If he needs it the distance will not be very far to the next tire store anyway.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a friend with a 56 Nomad and he carries a big donut tire as a spare. Like he says, If he needs it the distance will not be very far to the next tire store anyway.
My Nomad had one in it when purchased, but the diameter being so different from the 235-70-15's on it is a concern... and those things are ugly.. and I'd rather stay 'closer to stock' in the spare tire well... :). The 235-70/15's are 27.4" in dia. A 205-75-15 is 27.1" and I think would be OK if it will fit.. I guess I need to go to a tire store with the Nomad and have them a tire on that size?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
tire

Bama, I have a modern size, went to tire store had to try a few , will go look see & let you know soon,, Dick

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bama, I have a modern size, went to tire store had to try a few , will go look see & let you know soon,, Dick
Thanks Dick.. I will appreciate that information.. :)

·
Premium Member
15,901 Posts
My Nomad had one in it when purchased, but the diameter being so different from the 235-70-15's on it is a concern... and those things are ugly.. and I'd rather stay 'closer to stock' in the spare tire well... :). The 235-70/15's are 27.4" in dia. A 205-75-15 is 27.1" and I think would be OK if it will fit.. I guess I need to go to a tire store with the Nomad and have them a tire on that size?
The problem with going to a tire store is the tire may look OK in the well until it is mounted. The tire dimensions are very different when the tire is mounted and inflated. The "bubble" measurement also varies depending on your rim width. It is the inflated diameter and bubble that are the critical measurements you need to be concerned with.

·
Premium Member
4,731 Posts
I have a G-78-15 on a stock rim in my 55 wagon, It is tight but it fits.
I have G78s on my 57. Love them. But I found the fit just a bit too tight for the spare, so the supplier kindly swapped it for the next narrower size – that must be F78. So, I can't rotate the tyres with the space, but ...

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I *think* the closest size to an F78-15 is a 205-75x15, and suspect that the G78-15 would be close to a 215-75x15. Tthere are a few mfg who make the 205-75-15 for passenger cars, but most tires in this size are apparently trailer tires.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
I have a G78-15 in my spare tire well and it is to big. I had to hollow out the inside of the spare tire cover to make it fit.

I tried a 205 75 15 and it was to big. the width of the tread made it a no go.

I would say a 195 75 15 is probably the largest tire you can get in the well and close the lid.

the 7.10 I have here fit, but you couldn't close the lid.

The critical area is the width of the tread on the ground.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts