Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to put a new gas tank in my 55 before spring and would like to have it ready for EFI at a future time. I am going to be running a carb for the forseeable future. What do I need to do to have it ready for both. Or is it an either/or type situation?

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I know that GM fuel injection pressures need to be about 65 PSI and with a carb usually 7 PSI or less is required. I don't know if you could use a pressure regulator of some sort to cut the pressure back for the carb. The intank fuel pumps usually have a larger hole for the sender than the regular tanks have.
Dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
Dave, galvanized stock type tanks are still reasonably priced, EFI tanks are spendy usually because they are stainless with the pump inside. You could buy a stock tank and later put an external pump and return line in later. I did this on a Jag with a Chevy TPI 6 years ago and found the external pump made way to much noise, it took more time isolateing the pump noise than it did to make the motor mounts! Never again an external pump. After saying that the external pumps of today may be quieter than of years ago. Going from carb to EFI - TPI or? has it's hidden coast, tank, pump, wireing harness, high pressure feed line, return line, the unit itself, etc. If you have a saveable tank now I would reseal and live with it till and if the conversion. If tank is not saveable buy a new galvanized tank and later install an internal pump kit and baffle ($225), lines etc. JMO, Lon

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't believe you would be able to use the fuel injection pump to supply your carb. Probably the least expensive way to install fuel injection punp is to use external pump. I have used the Jaguar stock pump from '88-'89 XJ6 with excellent results. It is an external type and runs quiet. One thing you could do if you are installing a new tank is to provide a fitting in the tank that you could tap into when you are ready to install the external pump for injection. The fitting should be located in the bottom of the tank so you would have gravity feed to the pump inlet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts