Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted the other day about the cross member that I traded for being only 31 1/2" wide and the frame being 34" wide.
I took Dave's advise & ordered the frame mount from Ecklers. He assured me that this mount would work because his cross member was also 31 1/2".
Well big surprise,the cross member w/these mounts bolted on is only 33" plus the holes dont match at all.
Now I can Jerry Rig it and drill new holes in the cross member and bolt the side that supposed to mount to the frame to the x member and use the shorter end on the frame,try to find a longer xmember or ?"?
Just what I needed another crap sandwich day.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
I posted the other day about the cross member that I traded for being only 31 1/2" wide and the frame being 34" wide.
I took Dave's advise & ordered the frame mount from Ecklers. He assured me that this mount would work because his cross member was also 31 1/2".
Well big surprise,the cross member w/these mounts bolted on is only 33" plus the holes dont match at all.
Now I can Jerry Rig it and drill new holes in the cross member and bolt the side that supposed to mount to the frame to the x member and use the shorter end on the frame,try to find a longer xmember or ?"?
Just what I needed another crap sandwich day.
Fred in reviewing your previous post along with this post, a possible solution would be to purchase some 3x3x3/16 angle, cut two pieces say a 1/4" wider than the crossmember and make some new ones. Certainly, having to do it this way is a PITA, but it is a solution.

Review the sketch below for an illustration:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
And most metal suppliers will cut the angle iron the length you want and all you have to do is drill the holes, probably cheaper than Ecklers angle iron.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Fred in reviewing your previous post along with this post, a possible solution would be to purchase some 3x3x3/16 angle, cut two pieces say a 1/4" wider than the crossmember and make some new ones. Certainly, having to do it this way is a PITA, but it is a solution.

Review the sketch below for an illustration:

Thats what I suggested in the last post, both my cars are this way.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats what I suggested in the last post, both my cars are this way.
I called around again today and the widest that I have found is 2" angle iron..I'll try again Monday.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Fred if you were just a little closer I'd give you some 3" angle... Shipping would be more than the material cost... The owner of the local welding shop usually gives me any small pieces I need...

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,894 Posts
OF....Another possibility might be to lengthen the crossmember by welding a plate to the bottom of it, as Cnut suggested in the previous thread.....See link:http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51278 Then you can match the holes to the angles that you purchased from CCI.

Regret that they didn't work out for you.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OF....Another possibility might be to lengthen the crossmember by welding a plate to the bottom of it, as Cnut suggested in the previous thread.....See link:http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51278 Then you can match the holes to the angles that you purchased from CCI.

Regret that they didn't work out for you.
I've gotten a coupla suggestions to look at the answers from my 1st post.They are all great suggestions.
My problem(one of em) is that I expect things to work like I'm told that they will.When I ordered the mounts from Ecklers,I asked for the dimensions of the brackets and no-one could tell me if they were 1 1/2" or 2' wide. Also if the mounts work for others and 55-57 frames are the same and the crossmember is the same as others (31 1/2")then they should work for me.
Yes I could take the crossmember to a welding shop and have a piece added and if Ecklers will let me return these and refund all of my $$($33.33) then I will do that.I got some 1 1/2" angle iron that I originally planned to use because I expected the darn thing to fit.
And YES I know that its all my fault because I didnt ask the guy that I got the crossmember how wide it is...........

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Hey Fred,

Hope these photos can help you out. I believe the crossmember was put into the car years ago by a professional driveline shop and they did a great job.

It had 2 nice slotted angle brackets.

Here's the crossmember that you have.

Here's how they mounted it into my car.

Then I met Nick P. and went to this style crossmember......

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Fred,

Hope these photos can help you out. I believe the crossmember was put into the car years ago by a professional driveline shop and they did a great job.

It had 2 nice slotted angle brackets.

Here's the crossmember that you have.

Here's how they mounted it into my car.

Then I met Nick P. and went to this style crossmember......

Geoff.Thanx for the pix.I,m not blaming you its just that when I think I know what I'm doing and how things will go I end up w/another crap sandwich. I'm just gonna turn the mounts that I got from Eclers on their side & they will work fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts