Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of trying to get my panel gaps established on my 57 2dr post. I have spent a lot of time looking at other cars and have noticed that a lot of tri-fives tend to have a common issue of having a bow if or bulge in the gap between the fender and hood as it starts down on the front(hopefully this makes sense) Can this be adjusted out or does one have to cut or add material along the gap edge. Now i realize this is not answered as simple do this or that but i am wondering if any one has pictures of this area that they may have fixed.

·
Registered
37,237 Posts
Anything can be fixed. It's just a matter of what it takes.

The bow in the hood is probably not fixed with a hinge or latch adjustment though. You're in bodywork territory more than likely.

A photo would help.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
A lot of these cars have been worked over by DIY owners. Not a bad thing but little details are just not noticed. When fenders, hoods and doors are fit up by pros, shims and brackets are used to fit and hold the gaps and shapes. Most of the cars of this era that I have worked on are missing braces, brackets, washers, shims, screws, bolts, etc. for instance, from the outer fender to the inner fender there is a bracket holding the lip of the wheel well to the inner fender. Why is it there? keeps the outer fender from bowing out. 9 times out of 10 it's missing. Why? Folks don't know it's supposed to be there and if its not, they don't know what's missing. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
A lot of these cars have been worked over by DIY owners. Not a bad thing but little details are just not noticed. When fenders, hoods and doors are fit up by pros, shims and brackets are used to fit and hold the gaps and shapes. Most of the cars of this era that I have worked on are missing braces, brackets, washers, shims, screws, bolts, etc. for instance, from the outer fender to the inner fender there is a bracket holding the lip of the wheel well to the inner fender. Why is it there? keeps the outer fender from bowing out. 9 times out of 10 it's missing. Why? Folks don't know it's supposed to be there and if its not, they don't know what's missing. :anim_25:
Very interesting. Very true. I wonder what these cars have gone through over all these years.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
I am in the process of trying to get my panel gaps established on my 57 2dr post. I have spent a lot of time looking at other cars and have noticed that a lot of tri-fives tend to have a common issue of having a bow if or bulge in the gap between the fender and hood as it starts down on the front(hopefully this makes sense) Can this be adjusted out or does one have to cut or add material along the gap edge. Now i realize this is not answered as simple do this or that but i am wondering if any one has pictures of this area that they may have fixed.
Shoot "MP&C" a PM along with some pics. I suspect he has developed a solution or may at least have a path to follow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts