Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,015 Posts
remove 2 barrel intake and carb and replace with 4 barrel .

·
Registered
967 Posts
Exhaust improvements will buy you the best return, in both performance and gas mileage.

Dual exhaust with low restriction mufflers would be a start.
Headers or some of the factory better flowing manifolds would also help.

I would not spend a lot of time on carb / ignition improvements until you get the exhaust opened up.

MY $0.02

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
The standard thing done for years is a 4 bbl carb and a dual exhaust. If you want it to look stock, use the factory 4 bbl setup.

Next, you can install factory 4 bbl heads for higher compression.

The 4 bbl distributor has a more agressive advance curve than the 2 bbl. You can swap distributors, or just the advance springs and vacuum advance.

At that point, you've basically got a factory 4 bbl setup, which moves the car pretty nicely.

Do note the factory 4GC has its quirks - search for my postings on the subject. The WCFB seems to be less trouble-prone.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Realistically you have a small displacement and low compression engine. An electronic ignition would be an excellent upgrade. Headers on your engine would be a waste of money. Stock exhaust manifolds and duel exhaust with turbo mufflers will give the sound of performance. If you want better performance consider a quality crate engine. Just my two cents worth. Been there done that.

Brent

·
Registered
628 Posts
I have a 283 with 2 speed powerglide (both rebuilt stock, nothing extra) new 2gc 2bbl carb and HEI and it will spin the tires and when driving it jumps when I put my foot in it. That's enough for me..

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
If you're not worried about being original, in the late 70's I had a 283 2BC 57 we used as a tow car it used plenty of gas so I wondered about the economy of the 2GC vs a stock 327 4BC Quadrajet and manifold I had lying around. Swapped it over, picked up 5 mpg and trimmed a full second off its 1/4 mile time.
So, I'm afraid the 2GC is a dog, so if you want stock, go 4BC manifold with Carter WCFB (Rochester 4GC is just a 2GC with secondarys added). Exhaust make sure you have a dual system.
I have seen the Edelbrock 500cfm AVS carburettor used with an adapter on the old 4BC $GC & WCFB manifold and it could not be seen to be noticeably different to the 4GC.
The later 2GC wide flange carburettor will not bolt up to the early manifold, so thats not an easy swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.