Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't say this was unexpected after reading about both Danchuck and Trim Parts version....mine happens to be a Trim Parts '57 hood bar and fender extensions.

My original bar fits my stock hood and my reproduction Taiwan hood correctly. The made in USA Trim Parts version fits neither correctly. The ends stick out a good 1/8" from the hood, they hit the stop and can go no closer to the hood like they need to. The piece is also wider by about 1/8" per side. The hood holes had to be enlarged to get the studs to go through. For a made in USA piece and $300+ I was expecting maybe a little more quality. I'll probably have the Danchuck version send out to try it and send back the one that fits the worst. Reusing/restoring the original piece is not an option. Just wanted to give a heads up.

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
that's a shame gary. :secruity:

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I bought Trim Parts hood and fender bars (seconds) and did have a little trouble getting the hood bar to fit tight against the hood but the bar was the exact width of the hood. No problem there. I could not even tell that it was a second grade.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Trim Parts uses the exact/original GM mold I'm told for the grill bar.
Told me for legal reasons they couldn't advertise that directly.

Now the hood bar could be a different story.

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
Interesting.... again.

You would think they could narrow their mold rather inexpensively, at least in the big picture.

I think 56 hood bars are similar, though I'm not sure that Trim Parts is the culprit on the 56.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ain't nothing like the REAL thing------if you can find a reputable place to re-chrome:gba:
Oh I can find a place to rechrome...just not willing to pay the price for the cost to restore them. :)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not good, is it a bad batch?

I called the vendor and was told it's pot luck, you may or may not get one that fits, doesn't matter if it's Trim Parts or Danchuck. It was suggested that I could remove the stud and grind down the stand off to get it closer to the hood on the ends....but that wouldn't help with the width (the width isn't really the problem although it is too wide). Of course I can't send it back once I start grinding. I think it's going back and I'll try others till I get one that fits better.

Funny that the original hood bar even fits the Taiwan reproduction hood better :)

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I called the vendor and was told it's pot luck, you may or may not get one that fits, doesn't matter if it's Trim Parts or Danchuck. It was suggested that I could remove the stud and grind down the stand off to get it closer to the hood on the ends....but that wouldn't help with the width (the width isn't really the problem although it is too wide). Of course I can't send it back once I start grinding. I think it's going back and I'll try others till I get one that fits better.

Funny that the original hood bar even fits the Taiwan reproduction hood better :)
I love pot luck dinners, not parts. That was a lame answer but probably truthful. In my humble opinion a GOOD vendor knowing this problem exists would fitment check each he recieves and send back bad ones to the manufacture, only send those that pass to the buyers. Then send a good one to the manufacture and specify that they only make/send ones that conform to sample.
I think you're dealing with some idiots

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I love pot luck dinners, not parts. That was a lame answer but probably truthful. In my humble opinion a GOOD vendor knowing this problem exists would fitment check each he recieves and send back bad ones to the manufacture, only send those that pass to the buyers. Then send a good one to the manufacture and specify that they only make/send ones that conform to sample.
I think you're dealing with some idiots

Are you kidding? That would make too much sense! :)

I've got the pieces packed for shipping back, I'm using my old pieces for front end fitment and alignment.

·
Registered
37,250 Posts
How can you get different length parts out of the same mold/tooling? I don't think you can. So this is not "pot luck", and the vendor doesn't need to QC his inventory. If Trim Parts is making different parts, some good and some bad, they have 2 molds, and one of them is good and the other is not. Continuing to make parts from the bad mold is damn near criminal if they know better, and they should.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How can you get different length parts out of the same mold/tooling? I don't think you can. So this is not "pot luck", and the vendor doesn't need to QC his inventory. If Trim Parts is making different parts, some good and some bad, they have 2 molds, and one of them is good and the other is not. Continuing to make parts from the bad mold is damn near criminal if they know better, and they should.
It's all very frustrating. I'm contacting Trim Parts directly to discuss this issue with them. I will post my findings.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I would think there's more then one mold or tooling set, obvious since they come in different lengths/shapes etc. How much you wanna bet they make them in China but fail to tell you so?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would think there's more then one mold or tooling set, obvious since they come in different lengths/shapes etc. How much you wanna bet they make them in China but fail to tell you so?

That is exactly what my wife said. I'm starting to think everybody from the manufacturer to the vendors know the parts are a poor fit and just settle. I think the floors and braces are usually a good fit but so far nothing else I've bought has been :(

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's all very frustrating. I'm contacting Trim Parts directly to discuss this issue with them. I will post my findings.
I was told to send the part back to the vendor and get a replacement. I sent it back and no I don't want a replacement. Let's see now, I have a total of $48 in shipping charges and no part in my hand. (ECC doesn't refund shipping, poor fit or not, period) Doesn't sound like I made out. :( On the bright side, I have a original hood bar that fits and one good extension, need a drivers side and then I can finish fitting up fenders. will bite the bullet and look for a re-chrome. Life goes on. On to the next thing.

Gary

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Thats easy send it back and tell them you want your money back, first email them the pictures and ask them how is this supposed to fit. Companies like this need to be held accountable

1 - 18 of 18 Posts