Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the 60's my Dad worked at a military base. When the soldiers got stationed overseas, they would sell their cars quick just to get rid of them. My Dad bought a lot of 57 Chevys and kept them in our back yard. At the time, I was 13 years old, had a lot of Friends about the same age and we liked to do things just to see if we could get away with it. We also lived on a dead-end street out in the country (well... it was back then...but not now). One day me and 3 buddies hot wired 4 of the 57's and drove them to the end of the road to a field of tall grass and started racing them around in a circle about 300 feet wide. What we didn't know was that it had rained the night before and there was a lot of mud. We found out when 2 of the cars got stuck. Knowing my Dad was going to be home in about 1 hour, we called a friend who knew a tow truck driver and he got us out of the mud and running again. It cost every dollar the 4 of us could come up with, $12. My dad pulled in just as we finished washing all the mud off the cars. He thanked us for being such good boys. If he only knew what we had done I would have gotten a walk out the to wood pile...... ABout 5 years ago, on my 50th birthday and my Dads 75th birthday, I told him the story. He did not get upset or even look mad... He told me that the next door neighbor stopped him before he pulled into the driveway that day and told him all about it. Seems the neighbor and the tow truck driver were friends... My Dad could have grounded me for years but instead, he thanked me for washing the cars. He was a good man and a Friend...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
When my kids were in their late teens and in high school, I did a lot of traveling for my company. I have no idea what they did while I was gone. I'll bet that someday they will tell me a story about something they did while I was away... I hope I handle it half as well as my Dad did....

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Great story....sounds like my dad. Sometimes you just have to let the kids grow up...I smashed up my dad's new buick once when he was out of town, not too bad, but completely due to my own ineptness -- I got into a tight alley and couldn't make the turn without hitting the fence. I figured my dad would kill me, but he didn't, I don't really know why but I knew from that point on that I needed to be more careful with other people's stuff...funny how we learn things!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts