Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36,112 Posts
Earle Williams' kit has the best reputation for consistent fit. It was just re-done to get rid of the sometimes not so good OEM rubber mounts. And with the new design you can mount the engine stock location or 3/4" forward just by swapping the upper mount from one side to the other.

It's going to be more money but here is an example of you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
36,112 Posts
There was a thread last week on chevytalk with photos showing problems with gaps with the POL mounts. And while it had problems, it's not the worst I've seen. Some are awful, that one was just bad.

Though some of these "bolt on" mounts could be better, it's a matter of the frame you're bolting to as well as the parts. The EW design, which is strictly weld in not bolt in, is the best design for consistent fit, because it is forgiving for variations in frames.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
a possibility?

There was a thread last week on chevytalk with photos showing problems with gaps with the POL mounts. And while it had problems, it's not the worst I've seen. Some are awful, that one was just bad.

Though some of these "bolt on" mounts could be better, it's a matter of the frame you're bolting to as well as the parts. The EW design, which is strictly weld in not bolt in, is the best design for consistent fit, because it is forgiving for variations in frames.
Rick, I've noticed quite a few posts regarding the poor fit of the bolt-on engine mounts. Most of the picture-supported complaints show the mounts against the frame with big gaps between the mounts and the frame--mine were the same way. When I held them in place initially I thought.."no way are these gonna fit". I bolted them to the engine, lowered the engine into position and as the weight of the engine was pushing down on the mounts they miraculously went right into a snug fit against the frame. Could the installation procedure of the bolt-ons be the issue or do you think its just the poor design? I know they don't fit worth a hoot without the engine weight "forcing" them into position. The fully welded Earle Williams mounts are definitely the mount of choice but I just gotta think a lot of the complaints about the bolt-ons are procedural. Thoughts? JIM.

·
Registered
36,112 Posts
"Could the installation procedure of the bolt-ons be the issue or do you think its just the poor design?"

I don't know how many put the engine weight on the mounts or how many don't, before they declare trouble.

But with everything bolted together and the top flange of the mount sitting on the top surface of the frame rail, and with a gap between the side flange of the mount and the side surface of the frame, I don't think it really matters, I don't see good things happening. Likewise if the top flange has a gap at the front or back but doesn't at the other end. When you put the weight on it yes it will drop but it puts the bolt between the frame moutn and the block mount in a bind. You're in a situation where you could never replace the rubber/metal motor mount without a lot of trouble.

If everything lines up before you drop the weight of the engine on it, it at least has a chance to stay that way.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
You're in a situation where you could never replace the rubber/metal motor mount without a lot of trouble.

If everything lines up before you drop the weight of the engine on it, it at least has a chance to stay that way.[/QUOTE]

Good point. :tu JIM.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Earl Williams mounts look really well engineered but they're a little pricey.

I'll probably just weld them in. What's sop for installing the mounts? Bolt 'em to the engine, lower it in, tack the mounts then pull the engine back out and finish welding them?

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
In my case with the CCP mounts nothing worked, even putting them on the engine weight on them. There were just welded wrong, the angles were off. I tore them apart and used the parts to build new ones, but darned if the engine sits a quarter inch low on one side. I just might go with Jim's suggested mount later.:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
The Earl Williams mounts look really well engineered but they're a little pricey.
Yes, they are a little pricey, but here's my story: I bought a set similar to the POL ones, but they were from McGaughey's (I think). The frame mounts fit just about the way everyone here has reported - close, but not quite. I even tried Jim's approach of putting the weight of the motor on them, but no joy. Now for the kicker: Imagine my surprise when I found that the rubber engine mounts were different from each other - one fit the frame mount just fine, the other one was 1/4" too wide! :eek: That sealed the deal for me, and I called Earle Williams and ordered their new style mounts. I have yet to install them, but a hold-in-place eyeball fit tells me that they're going to work great. The quality is top-notch and heavy-duty. They're designed to allow a little grinding to fit the variation from frame to frame.

As far as the price, ask yourself this: What's your motor worth?

That's my $.02 - your mileage may vary.

·
Premium Member
5,576 Posts
I bought a set of 3/4 inch forward bolt ins from cars, directions were easy to follow. not easy to bolt in but not impossible. not a great deal of alignment issues. however I did convert to a side inlet fuel pump. not a lot of clearance between frame and fuel pump. it was nice to gain that 3/4 inch between the firewall and the distributor. I am sure there are better setups available but these mounts worked well for me.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Has any one ever used the side mounts from Ecklers? Thy look easy enough!!:eek: Just wondering. :confused0006:
TV

·
Registered
581 Posts
Does earle williams have a web site? I've been looking but unable to find:confused0006:I need to import to Australia, if anyone can give me a leed to a site it would be much appreciated:wavey:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,353 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Used the Jim Meyer weld in kit, the included trans mount is set up for GM PG,TH350,TH400,700R4,4 speed, 6 speed.
http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/tri-5_motor_mount_crossmember.html

I had the advantage of a plastic block and empty trans case for alignment, but even with that the engine mounts fit the frame where they should without any type of "adjustment" whatsoever. they set right down in place amazingly.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Jim Meyer's kit looks pretty good. Not a bad price either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does earle williams have a web site? I've been looking but unable to find:confused0006:I need to import to Australia, if anyone can give me a leed to a site it would be much appreciated:wavey:
Castlemaine Rod Shop do good mounts (well I think anyway), and are local Aussie (Victorian) company, saves importing them. They were also really good with their customer service and delivery as well. I put some in my 56 and they fit great. The engine's a 350. Everything bolted in quite easily, just drilled a few holes and it was all done.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts