Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone gets the wrong idea please read before you comment. I have been attending the Good-Guys show in columbus for about 10 years and have always loved going to that show. This year I noticed something that drove me crazy, actually it was drving the people that didnt want to walk, motorized scooters. They may have done it in the past but this was the first year I saw an entire tent full of them for rent in the registration area. Dont get me wrong I am all for someone with some type of handicap using technology to improve the quality of life they have, but from what i saw and from the groans of the crowd around me the people that could use these devices the most were not the ones renting them or terrorizing the fairgrounds on them.... I almost got hit by one lady 3 seperate times because she wasnt paying attention. Am i totally off base here or is this bothering other people too? Again I am not trying to insult anyone or hurt anyones feelings, just looking for feedback, thanks.:confused0006:

·
Administrator
48,734 Posts
I don`t know about good guys so much but i get annoyed by those and golf carts and the mule type vehicles at the swap meets. Those guys are looking at the spaces and not where they are driving. I figure it is about the same as what you are describing.I can`t even say how many times i have nearly been run over, thank goodness i was watching THEM. If they are "handicapped or disabled" then i have no problem. But i`d venture to say that maybe 25% would qualify if you went by that rule.
Terry

·
Registered
253 Posts
T`bone, you would not like to go to a Wal Mart
here in Florida. They are everywhere.:anim_25:

·
Registered
36,124 Posts
At the Pate swap meet, they kind of went the other way and outlawed all but their "authorized" golf carts. But not for rent, for franchise to haul parts. Probably an overall good move though.

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Are you talking about mobility scooters:questionmark:Later, Dave

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Just my opinion :D

But if a person needs a scooter for health reasons , as in he or she really needs it to get around Im all for it,
But Ive noticed to , that at all good guys events that Ive been to seems everyone that doesnt want to walk rents them

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
One of the Largest Swap Meets around (Carlile PA Spring and Fall Meet), outlawed tham as they were getting out of hand. They allow them if you have a Handycap license or proof!!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Scooters should not be allowed unless the person has a handicap!! PERIOD No ifs ands or buts about it. JMO

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,539 Posts
Yep they are annoying. My wife uses one of the mobility scooters to get around when we go to large settings like Disneyland or such. She couldn't go without it, but with that said she is a danger to the motoring public:D

She assumes she has the right away since she is disabled and the rest of the still upright population can get out of her way. I actually try to walk far behind her so as not to witness the hit and run accidents or have to keep reminding her to be careful, not like she listens anyway. I have found this to be the case with a lot of the mobility scooter riders and with more and more of us getting older more folks are using them.

Its like handicapped parking, almost everyone has a placard to let them park in that special spot. I suppose now everyone is gonna want a scooter to go with the placard:rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong their are plenty of folks that need them and I'm all for that, but there are also as many or more that don't and just take advantage of the system.

Ok, thats my two cents!

Randy

·
Premium Member
1,158 Posts
Scooters

Pate, Goodguys, NSRA I am very glad they rent the mobility scooters. I don't like the golf carts & mules there, it's just too many people. Several back operations, knee replacement on one side and knee operations on the other side the scooters make it to where I can get to see the whole event. I do respect the walking folks and don't think I have the right of way just because I am on the approved mobility scooter. I guess I handle it just like driving a vehicle.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Scooters should not be allowed unless the person has a handicap!! PERIOD No ifs ands or buts about it. JMO
I agree if the person has a real handicap then they will have proof and a placard,then by all means use a scooter.But people who are too lazy to walk should maybe stay home.:eek:

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
Most people I see on mobility vehicles look like this :eek:

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I for one am considering one for the next swap meet. This one has not only the ability to carry myself, but has a top observation platform, for spotting that hard to find part. And it has a extended arm, to help pick through those choice parts. Don't think it's to much do ya ? :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
I have a mobility scooter i use for swap meets and anytime there's a lot of walking involved. I have feet problems, a blown out knee and bad back. I can't walk for any great length of time and can only stand for very short periods. Mine has a variable speed control. I always set it at a very low speed and pedestrians always have the right of way.

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
I've been to the fairgrounds there several times for the quarterhorse congress. Biggest horse show in the country. the place is huge. we had to park the motorhome way in the back of the paarking lot and walked. they had golf carts all around except by the buildings. they marked off areas where carts can't go. I'm surprised they haven't done that for the goodguys show. I can see using carts or scooters to get back to your ride with somethin you bought but just for troaling booths.
By the way the fairgrounds are awesome. I always the steak and cheese burgers there the first 30 minutes I'm there:D:D

·
Registered
342 Posts
I attend the same show every year and also noticed the increase in scooters (mostly the mobility type). I thought the same thing about abusing the ability to get one, but I also thought I don't really know what type of pain or mobility issues some of those people have. Not all people who need scooters would consider themselves handicapped and not all handicapped individuals choose scooters. I have a very bad left knee after surgery and arthritis. Near the end of the day, I'm wishing for the scooter; but I really wish I had better legs to enjoy the walk more. :)

Fairgrounds for GoodGuys is beyond packed; corner to corner and fence to fence there's a hotrod or a group of rodders hanging out. Then there's the cruisin lanes, etc. If they allowed golf carts (except vendors and staff), that place would be unnavigable.

I usually try just to enjoy the show for the merits and pick my way through whatever crowd there is, wheeled or walking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I completely agree with people that need them getting them. Those of you with knee and back and foot problems, you guys should use them. I think it was lil gasser that said he goes there every year, any chance you saw the deer wandering thru the fairgrounds on saturday of the show?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts