Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In response to an earlier thread in this section on positioning of motor mounts in 55-56-57's it was stated that front motor mounts should be used in conjunction with bell housing mounts and side motor mounts should be used with a transmission crossmember. Anybody have any comments on this?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
That would be correct, any other combinations would cause undue stress where the engine and tranny meet.

1,544 Posts
mounts

Snoozin:When I got my 57 the transmission bell mounts were gone and it was set up with front mounts and rear crossmember, well like you I was told that I needed side engine mounts, the first time I rebuilt the engine I took the time to install side mounts and I ran them for a long time but the torque took its toll on the stiff mounts so when I restored it in 97 I went back to the front mounts with just the crossmember at the rear and it has worked out really well for me, I'm running a 327 bored 30 over with a 350 cam and a 650 four barrel and I get on it every chance I get. just putting in my two cents worth.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running a ZZ4 crate motor with a listed hp at 355 with 405 lbs torque. When I rev the engine there seems to be quite a bit of engine movement. I don't like to tighten the front mounts any more as I already see where I am compressing the biscuits. I checked with the supplier but they don't have any set torque specifications. It is just that the front mounts seem like such a frail setup compared to the clam shell units...........but from what you say they will handle a fair amount of power and it should not be a concern. Did you fab up a crossmember or buy one?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Using the stock front mounts with a crossmember will put undo stress on the area where the trans and engine meet. Side mounts should be used with the crossmember--same setup since 1958--pretty reliable. If you have too strong a motor--you could always chain it down like they did in the 60's and 70's

1,544 Posts
mounts

Thanks Tom, it gets me to and from, snoozin, The crossmember came with the car but it's not a home made type although two pieces of angle are welded to the inside of the frame to support it so it may be from another application that fits, if the car had the tranny ears I would hook them up but as long as it works I'm not going to mess with it. good luck with your build

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While I was browsing through Danchuk's catalogue on-line, I came across the following on engine/tranny mounts. Their recommendations are as follows: Stock 265-283 with stock transmission use front motor mounts with side transmission mounts; Stock 265-283 with a TH-350/TH-400 use front motor mounts and side transmission mounts; but with a 1958 or later V8 use side motor mounts and a crossmember.

·
Registered
277 Posts
side mounts / front mounts

Plus if you install side mounts now you have the option of running a power steering pump in front latter on if you decide to go power. Lon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts