Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many, if any, have moved the springs inboard without cutting and welding in pockets, on your gasser frame. With the straight axle, my front end is almost 12" higher than the rear end now. So I'm thinking even if the rear comes up 4 or five inchs by welding the spring /shackle connections directly to the underside of the frame, its still gonna have that front end rake.Any thoughts on this? Thanks al

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I just saw a '55 2-door Sedan from the Lima, OH area last thursday at the local Dairy Queen cruise-in.

The owner has moved the springs inboard. And even left the spare tire well intact.

I noticed he did notch the well for clearence. But he told me everything fit the way it was. He said he planned on making a cap to cover the missing sheet metal of the spare tire well. To hide the rear leaf spring shackle.

Nice looking car. :)

PS. I'd post a photo of the '55. But......... I can't get my camera to communicate with my computer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just curious how many, if any, have moved the springs inboard without cutting and welding in pockets, on your gasser frame. With the straight axle, my front end is almost 12" higher than the rear end now. So I'm thinking even if the rear comes up 4 or five inchs by welding the spring /shackle connections directly to the underside of the frame, its still gonna have that front end rake.Any thoughts on this? Thanks al
Nitro,

Not so sure you will gain any height from this modification, did it on a previously owned 55 and this mod gave me zero lift, made a bit more room for bigger meats on the back though. You will gain more room for a wider tire/rim to tuck inside the wheel well area towards the frame. You might want to have the rear springs re-arched and maybe add a leaf on each side if your looking to get the back up further in the air then what it is now....

Just make sure you do it the right way where it will be safe to drive, stay away from lowering/lifting blocks on the rear springs, better ways to get the rear up.

Gibby

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought about doing that on the frame also. You would get some height out of it I think. The only thing I would worry about is the frame being strong enough there. I don't see why it wouldn't be though.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
You can also play with the Front springs and remove one to see how much a drop that will give you on the front end. 12 inches of lift in the front is alot!!! I generally see them with about 5 or 6 inches of lift in the front. Do you have the engine and tranny in place on the frontend or even the frontend sheet metal. All that extra weight will bring that front end down if you do not already have those in!!! I'd remve a leaf or two in the front if the rest of body and eengine are in place to bring it down some. I have rearched (3 inches over stock) rear 5 pack springs in the stock location with hyjacker air shocks runng about 60 lbs of air and the front and rear ride at the same height...about 6 inches taller than stock!

·
12,256 Posts
Of course moving the springs under the frame will raise the car. The stock spring eyes are above the bottom of the frame. Depending on how you build your front spring brackets and shackles, you could get 4-8 inches rear height increase with the same springs. Not going to comment on how it would drive though. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Put your springs on top of the axle. Should be good for about five inches...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the imput guys. I am not considering doing this only to raise the rear, that's just an added result. It just didn't make sense to me to go through all the work and additional expense of creating the spring pockets in the frame, when I need the additional height anyway. From the measurements Iv'e taken, it looks like a 4-5 inch lift at most. Right now the top of the wheel well opening is about an inch above the rim, so the additional height should be fine, especially when I put on the larger diameter tires. I was just hoping someone had done this before, and could alert me to any disadvantages, or problems encountered. Thanks al

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
I 've done this before. If you do it right you won't touch the spare tire well. I had no problems.
Rick

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Al,

I put the springs under the frame. I initially flipped the rear but wanted traction bars (Cal-Tracs) and more tire clearance. I used parts from the local 4-wheel shop that were designed for Jeeps. Everything went in easy and the height is almost exactly what it was by doing the spring-over.

Measured the c/l of the axle and both spring mounts. I also reinforced the frame for the front perch as I have a 2-piece frame and it's not even (about an 1/8" off). I'm even using the stock rear shackles as of now. It looks good with the body on. All is just tacked in place now. Wish I had time to work on it.

I did adjust the front by removing a couple leaves from the spring pack. I may add one or both back as it's almost level now, and I do want the nose up a little more...:D

Here are a couple shots.

Later,

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, that's great Mike! That's exactly what I was asking about. The body off pics make it Chrystal clear. Thanks for posting them!!! al

1 - 11 of 11 Posts