Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the advantage of a MSD 6A box over using just a good after market ignition coil? I have a new Mallory unilite distributor that I plan on installing into my new 383 stroker motor.Remember this is going to be just a street cruiser not a drag car(57 h/t).Again thanks for any info. Tony :gba: :shakehands:

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,021 Posts
the msd 6a is a great street ignition box. MSD+ multiple spark discharge. what this means it that everytime the hodule tells the ignition to fire it fires 6 times. and continues to do so up to 3500 rpm after that it is single fire. this can be extremely helpfull in performance engines keeping them running cleaner in the lower rpm ranges as well as better throttle response. etc.

·
Premium Member
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the msd 6a is a great street ignition box. MSD+ multiple spark discharge. what this means it that everytime the hodule tells the ignition to fire it fires 6 times. and continues to do so up to 3500 rpm after that it is single fire. this can be extremely helpfull in performance engines keeping them running cleaner in the lower rpm ranges as well as better throttle response. etc.
Remember,I'm a old school drag racer that hasn't been involved in hot rodding for over 40+years and some of the new technology I don't yet understand.
Is there any certain model that I should buy? :shakehands::shakehands: :gba:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Whats the advantage of a MSD 6A box over using just a good after market ignition coil? I have a new Mallory unilite distributor that I plan on installing into my new 383 stroker motor.Remember this is going to be just a street cruiser not a drag car(57 h/t).Again thanks for any info. Tony :gba: :shakehands:
if you get one make sure to get the 6al one it has the rev control so if your red line 6500 you put 6700 chip in it so you wont hurt the motor if you miss a shift

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I have ran a Unilite in my 67 Camaro since the 70s, however the last 20 years with a MSD 6AL. I perfer the 6AL because of Soft Touch Rev Control. I also have this setup in my 55 and a Camaro drag car. Amother Camaro drag car has a Tach Drive MSD Dist with a 6 AL and it performs the same as it did with the Unilite that moved to 55.

·
Registered
29 Posts
what distributor do you have now?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.