Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to install a MSD 6AL in my 55 with the MSD distributor and coil. Where can I hook up the switched 12 volts to turn the spark box on? Can I run a wire straight from the fuse box to the switched 12v wire on the MSD box? I know I cant use the brown wire from the old resistor cause its not "hot" in the start position.

Any help would be great !
Thanks Gerard

·
Registered
37,985 Posts
MSD-6 and -7 boxes need to have the main power connected to the battery. If you don't have an easily available battery power terminal, either add one, or run the MSD power wire right to the big upper positive post on the starter solenoid. Another place to get it is the output terminal on the alternator.

Probably the simplest way to do it is to run a 10 or 12 gauge wire from the solenoid to one of those single terminal posts and mount it on the firewall, and connect your MSD power wire to that too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are 3 power wires, 1 goes to the battery terminal(positive) and 1 (negative), done, the other goes to switched 12 volts to turn the box on. Its a small red 14ga wire. I just need to find out where to get switched 12 volts , and have 12 volts while cranking?

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
With an electronic distributor, you don't need the ballast resistor. Connect "ign1" and "ign2" terminals, on the switch, together and you'll have 12 volts to the 6al box while cranking and in run.
You don't have switched 12 volts at the fuse block during cranking. Accessories (radio, fan, ect) aren't hot while cranking.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts