Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the MSD Pro-Billet Distributor part number 8360 shown below will work with the Mallory IVa Ignition System part number 697 shown below in the diagram provided. This diagram was given to me by a Holley Tech. Holley sells both MSD and Mallory components. I circled in red the Mallory box female wire connector to identify the line-up of the colors of the wires. As you can see the wire colors on the female side of the wire connector are: Yellow, Red, Green and Black. These are the actual colors and line-up of the wires on the Mallory box that we have. My concern is the colors of the wires on the male side of the wire connector do not match. Is anyone able to confirm that any of the connections are correct, or are able to make or suggest the necessary corrections. Thank you for your support, Tommy.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Call Holley tech (look online for their tech phone number), ask them.

Some few years ago, MSD bought Mallory, then, 3 years ago, Holley bought MSD. Holley doesn't just sell Mallory and MSD, Holley owns them both.

Holley tech should be able to confirm the wire color uses on the plug-ins.

Willard Thompson

·
Registered
35,492 Posts
See if you can confirm the functions of the wire colors on the 4 terminal connector for the box.

Reason I say that is that the diagram has the switched 12V power going to the yellow wire, and the firing signal going to the red. But almost universally red is a power wire. Also the yellow and green are transposed on the box vs. the harness.

Logic tells me the wire colors should match on both sides of the connector.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See if you can confirm the functions of the wire colors on the 4 terminal connector for the box.

Reason I say that is that the diagram has the switched 12V power going to the yellow wire, and the firing signal going to the red. But almost universally red is a power wire. Also the yellow and green are transposed on the box vs. the harness.

Logic tells me the wire colors should match on both sides of the connector.
Rick, I agree with what you are saying. This is exactly what I'm concerned about. So far, the Holley Tech has not responded to my email concerns. When I place a call to them, I'm put on hold and no one takes the call. I'm not trying to make them look bad. I appreciate all the tech has done for me. However, if I can get confirmation from them on what Rick is talking about above, that would be great. Thanks Rick.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Call Holley tech (look online for their tech phone number), ask them.

Some few years ago, MSD bought Mallory, then, 3 years ago, Holley bought MSD. Holley doesn't just sell Mallory and MSD, Holley owns them both.

Holley tech should be able to confirm the wire color uses on the plug-ins.

Willard Thompson
I have emailed Holley and tried calling them. So far, no response. The diagram that I posted came from one of the Holley Tech's. Look at Rick's comments. This is exactly what I'm concerned about. Thank you, Tommy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As you can see in the picture the color of the wires coming off of the Mallory box side of the wire connector that we want to use are: yellow, red, green and black. If you look at the other side of the wire connector plug in the diagram, you will see that the colors of the wires on that side do not match up properly. That's my concern. Thank you, Tommy.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've never had a problem contacting Holley tech phone people. I just asked a question about yet another useless Sniper EFI mess less than a half hour ago. Time waiting for a tech to answer, 3 minutes.

Willard Thompson

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, the Mallory Tech finally emailed me. I told him I just needed confirmation on the wire routing with the wiring diagram shown below. I also sent him the color wiring diagram shown here of the Ignition Control Plugs, Male and Female. He said that he and other Tech's reviewed it and feel that this wire configuration is correct. So, we will follow his directions to the letter. Hope everything turns out ok. Thank you for your support. Aloha, Tommy.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, after a lot of confusion and mistakes on my part, we will be following this up-dated wiring diagram that was provided to me from a Holley Technician. He has been so supportive, understanding and patient with me. I really can't thank him enough for all he has done. As shown in the diagram, we will be installing an MSD Pro-Billet Distributor P/N 8360 with a Mallory Hyfire IVa Ignition System P/N 697. This system will be installed in my cousin Bobby's 55 Chevy Belair 2 door post. He is running a SBC 350 engine with all the internal goodies, with a 700r4 trans. We installed a Triple carb kit that runs very well. I believe he has the only 55 Chevy Belair in Hawaii that has Triple carbs. I hope this wiring diagram works out well for us and for any of you who may be contemplating this type of mod. Thank you for your support. Aloha, Tommy.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
What was your reason for using the Mallory box instead of a MSD unit that would have plugged directly into the MSD distributor ?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What was your reason for using the Mallory box instead of a MSD unit that would have plugged directly into the MSD distributor ?
The 55 Chevy is my cousins car. I believe one of his friends was selling the Mallory box brand new still in the box at a big savings. Then other friends told him that it will work for him, so he purchased it. There are always other's who say it will work for you, however, they never seem to provide a wiring diagram that you can follow for the install. Thank you for your thoughts. Aloha, Tommy.

·
Registered
35,492 Posts
The fact that their wire colors now match across the connectors restores some of my faith that whoever came up with that knew what they were doing.

That still doesn't explain why they didn't wire the connector correctly on the box in the photo.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The fact that their wire colors now match across the connectors restores some of my faith that whoever came up with that knew what they were doing.

That still doesn't explain why they didn't wire the connector correctly on the box in the photo.
Rick, I believe that was my mistake. I should have asked my cousin Bobby to confirm the wiring on the connector on the box side. Instead I relied on a picture from the Internet. It is strange because the box I copied the wire color and line-up from has the same part number on the box we have. Live and learn. Anyway I hope it all turns out ok. I have a feeling it will. Thanks Rick.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
The 55 Chevy is my cousins car. I believe one of his friends was selling the Mallory box brand new still in the box at a big savings. Then other friends told him that it will work for him, so he purchased it. There are always other's who say it will work for you, however, they never seem to provide a wiring diagram that you can follow for the install. Thank you for your thoughts. Aloha, Tommy.
Haha you are right about that. I was just curious and understand the principle of trying to save a buck.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will be going to my cousins house tomorrow to hook everything up. Hope all goes well. I'll post the results as soon as it's done. Aloha, Tommy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Problem! Can anyone think of any other circuit that someone would tie into an MSD Pro-Billet Distributor 8360. My cousin and I just got through with the installation of his MSD Distributor with the Mallory Hyfire Ignition Box shown in the diagram below. However, the diagram that I got from the Holley Tech only shows the three wires from the MSD Distributor harness Red, Black and Orange of which the red ties into the ignition switch wire, the black to ground and the orange which runs to the green wire from the Mallory box. Anyway, I had to cut off the 3 existing wires from the existing distributor harness so that I could just splice in the three wires shown in the wiring diagram shown in the link below. Not sure who or why, someone tied in other wires to this distributor connector wire harness. Not sure where these wires are running to or what they are supporting. Can you think of any other circuits that someone would typically tie into the distributor harness. I know that the tach wire is one that normally goes to the negative terminal on the coil. Other than that, the engine turns over but does not start. We got through late last night so we did not get a chance to trouble shoot this problem. Let me know what you think. Thank you for your support. Aloha, Tommy.

https://www.trifive.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=7898&pictureid=77886

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We finally got the engine running thanks to a Tech from Holley.com. The wiring diagram he provided which is shown in previous threads is correct. Most of the wires between our MSD Distributor and the firewall were old wires that were just left there by someone unknown. I found one wire that was the original ignition switch wire, and the other which was a purple wire which was coming from the Dakota Digital box which was for the Tach. That was all we needed from the old system. We removed all of the old wires that were no longer in use. Our no start condition was because the battery did not have enough voltage for this new ignition system. The Holley Tech told me that while cranking the engine we must see at least 10.30 volts on the ignition switch wire. If not we will have a no start condition. While cranking the engine we only had 8 volts. So, we replaced the battery with a new one, and so far the engine starts up and runs fine thanks to the Tech Rep from Holley.com. Aloha, Tommy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts