Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was ready to purchase an MSD ready to run distributor and decided to check some reviews . Lots of complaints of failure , some guys love them . Any of you guys have an opinion or experience with these ? Thanks guys .

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have one in my 67 Chevelle and just bought another for my 57 210. I’ve had no issues with the one in the Chevelle (the older version), so that’s why I bought a new one for the 57.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,428 Posts
don't believe the problem was with the distributor. the problem was with the MSD box that got moved to Mexico I think

·
Registered
36,976 Posts
Internet scuttlebutt has it that the modules for the ready to run distributor and also MSD's coils are suspect for reliability.

How bad that is, if at all - I don't know. I suspect it's not all that bad.

I've not heard as much about CD boxes.

MSD stuff (except coils) used to be built either in El Paso or across the border in Juarez. Not sure now, could easily be China. No one's coils are built in the US any more, pretty much all in China. Coil manufacturing was hindered by the EPA, as well as the general manufacturing move out of the US in the last 30 years.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what I read some guys are saying the MSD blaster coils are very prone to shorting due to epoxy coated windings as opposed to oil filled . Theyre saying the coils often take out the distributor module when they short . They also say the MSD coils are made In China , not sure about the distributors . Any reason a guy couldn't use an older oil filled stock points type coil with the ready to run distributor ?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
From what I read some guys are saying the MSD blaster coils are very prone to shorting due to epoxy coated windings as opposed to oil filled . Theyre saying the coils often take out the distributor module when they short . They also say the MSD coils are made In China , not sure about the distributors . Any reason a guy couldn't use an older oil filled stock points type coil with the ready to run distributor ?
I have both the MSD RTR and the Blaster Coil, over 3 years now and zero issues. Not sure where all the bad reviews are coming from, I have seen nothing but good from them. Now as for the coil I do have it mounted upright and not in an area of high heat.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've have a MSD ready to run in my LT-1 for 7 years now. Only a few hundred miles, but it run/works perfect with zero issues. I have a standard ignition coil, and no CD box. which I feel it doesn't need a CD box anyway, plus it is another thing to fail. The distributor has lots of advance options, and the built in adjustable rev limiter is another plus.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have 2 of the RTR MSD setups in a chevelle and 57, both use the blaster coils- so far no problems and would buy another if i needed it

My only complaint is the red cap, prefer black and I paint the coils black

·
Registered
119 Posts
I checked out your black cap link, how about that - I was told they did not make one- I'll get 2 of those black caps now, thanks for the link
Chris

·
Registered
225 Posts
if your msd dist. cap does not have a vent hole in it drill one.

I drill a 1/4" dia. hole in mine where the original dwell adjustment window is.
my msd uses the stock style cap.

all msd distributors need to vent or they build up massive corrosion on the magnetic pick up fins then it starts to degrade spark signal.

last one I checked had 500 miles on it and looked like it had fungas growing in it. drilled hole in cap, sprayed wd-40 inside cap and its been fine ever since.

·
Registered
182 Posts
if your msd dist. cap does not have a vent hole in it drill one.

I drill a 1/4" dia. hole in mine where the original dwell adjustment window is.
my msd uses the stock style cap.

all msd distributors need to vent or they build up massive corrosion on the magnetic pick up fins then it starts to degrade spark signal.

last one I checked had 500 miles on it and looked like it had fungas growing in it. drilled hole in cap, sprayed wd-40 inside cap and its been fine ever since.

GREAT TIP !!

I have a billet FAST distributor on my blown Nova.. cracked it open one day and man what a mess
it had corroded really badly.. did exactly what you described and its been fine since.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I was ready to purchase an MSD ready to run distributor and decided to check some reviews . Lots of complaints of failure , some guys love them . Any of you guys have an opinion or experience with these ? Thanks guys .

I've run an RTR on my 327 for several years - no problems. One caveat: read the instal. instructions closely and hook it up accordingly.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I have 2 of the RTR MSD setups in a chevelle and 57, both use the blaster coils- so far no problems and would buy another if i needed it

My only complaint is the red cap, prefer black and I paint the coils black
I have been told and read on the web that the MSD RTR dizzy, that the old GM oem points distributor cap fits the MSD RTR dist.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts