Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My charging system is not working. The Alt and/or external VR are the likely problem. I really like a stock under hood look. Just got this car and it has MSD dist/plug wires & coil. Will the MSD setup work if I decide to drop the Alt and replace it my stock Gen/PS unit? I don't need 40+ Amps.

Thank you for your help.

Update: I decided to replace my external Alt with an internal 3-wire Alt. I wanted to share a special thank you to a member in Southlake TX. His help was much appreciated. The folks on this site are knowledgeable and helpful!!

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
My charging system is not working. The Alt and/or external VR are the likely problem. I really like a stock under hood look. Just got this car and it has MSD dist/plug wires & coil. Will the MSD setup work if I decide to drop the Alt and replace it my stock Gen/PS unit? I don't need 40+ Amps.

Thank you for your help.
There's no reason a MSD will not work with a generator. The MSD coil may use a few more amps, but not enough to be a problem.

G

·
The MSD should be fine down to 10 or so volts on the two large gauge wires. The small red run wire is set to work between 6 and 16 volts.

As far as a generator, I have done 5 Buick setups, converted them to 12 volts, while making them look like 6 volt systems. One of the things I did was to core the stock Buick generator out, and fit inside its case, a small Japanese car alternator, and use an extension to a front ball bearing for stock GM fan and pulley.

For the battery, I cored the stock 6 volt battery out, neutralized the acid residue inside the case, added a smaller 12 volt AGM style battery, ran the cables inside the old case to the stock 6 volt terminals, and it all looks stock 6 volt.

Just depends on how far you are willing to go to maintain stock look, and how creative you can get with hiding stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.