Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Muffler position

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  warren57 
#1 ·
I'm replacing my bullet type glass packs before I need a hearing aid on my 57. I decided on Dynomax Super Turbos. I got under the car this morning and see there isn't much room. I know a lot of you have regular style mufflers. Any tips on placement. Also, is the emergency brake cable an issue or do I put it over the muffler which I can go with the smaller diameter ST. Thanks!

#3 ·
Mine flowmasters are mounted right in front of the rearend, which looks about like the same location as Carl`s are mounted. E-brake cable does rub aginst the exhaust but doesn`t seem to be an issue.
Terry

#5 ·
Carl

First of all' thanks for your service to our country. I really appreciate it. Vietnam guys never got the thanks and recognition they deserved. I was 1 year before my draft time and know a lot of Vietnam vets. Second, I'm not sure where the albums are. I went to your garage but don't see the pic.

#6 ·
Mark click on the members username, then click on "view profile". When that opens if they have an album it will be on the right hand side of the screen.
Terry

#7 ·
Got it! Great pic, very helpful. It just looked like between the ebrake bracket, ebrake cable and some other unknown bracket i have it wouldn't fit. But it looks like if I get a muffler with the offset on the output I should be fine. Thanks

#9 ·
I also am changing mufflers

These mufflers were on the car when I got it, so I don't know what they are. I have to find a quieter muffler. I want to hear the exhaust not, but a more deep throated sound. These are too shrill for me. I think they may be flowmasters, the car had headers and 3 inch exhaust.

#11 ·
I wanr t to use my existing exhaust system but it looks like there will be a problem clearing the ebrake bracket. There is about 10 inches between the bracket and the drive shaft. There is 12 inches between the bracket and the gas tank. This would force me to mount the muffler further forward and then the bracket is an issue. How necessary is the bracket? I can cut it off. I don't even use the ebrake. Thanks

#12 ·
i think the exhaust is loud on most of these cars when you have chassis headers. i had some flow masters 40 series with a cross over pipe and it seemed droney with the 350...got even worse with the bbc. i went to fenderwell headers and the exhaust is outside of the frame rail, night and day difference, it seemed quiet. no more drone. then i went to some cherry bomb glass packs. got a little louder, but the sound is outside of the cab. idk...just my experience so far. even with wot, the sound doesn't bother me. it has a nice growl. outside of the frame rails

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.