Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any tricks on how to get a rounded off really tight plug out of the side of a muncie 4 speed? It looks like it was a square end, but no more! Can it be heated up? What is recommended way? I think we are low on lube.

·
Premium Member
13,471 Posts
use a heat gun and heat the case, get it as hot as you can, don't use a torch!!! then grab the plug with vice grips before it cools and it should come out :eek:

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have had ones that i had to mig weld a slug of metal or bolt to then get a pipe wrench and turn it out. If its brass your screwed, never use a brass plug it will have to be drilled or cut out by drilling a hole in it then sawing it in two then it will fall out you may get lucky with a big easy out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I still have not been able to get this plug out! I tried the heat gun and I tried welding a large nut over it to get ahold of and it broke right off. My question now is if I drill it out will metal go inside of tranny? I am assuming the reason not to use a torch is because the case is cast but it sure seems like heat would do it. Any help would be great this is frustrating wanted to take it to Norwalk this weekend but pretty sure it is low on lube.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How 2 fill with oil

Heres a tip- undo the speedo cable at the back of the tailshaft then remove the gear and you can get the oil in that way!! Good luck and have a great weekend

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Seeing how the case is cast iron and not aluminum, I don't see why you can't heat the case surrounding the plug. Maybe the guy who originally posted this has some experience with this he can share with us. And yes if you drill out the plug you will get metal shavings in the tranny.

Don

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Seeing how the case is cast iron and not aluminum, I don't see why you can't heat the case surrounding the plug. Maybe the guy who originally posted this has some experience with this he can share with us. And yes if you drill out the plug you will get metal shavings in the tranny.

Don
All the 4 speed Muncies I have seen were aluminum cased. Saginaw junk is cast iron,

·
Registered
58 Posts
its a pia but if all else fails you could take the side cover off and add fluid that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Assuming there's enough material left, square it off with a file or grind it square taking off the least amount of material necessary to get a good grip, then fit a wrench and use a long "persuader" bar. The longer the better. Apply slow steady torque. Don't bang on it. It's not rusted in, so it doesn't need to be broken loose.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
PB Blaster?

You might try soaking it in "PB Blaster" for awhile before you get too crazy. It's available in most AutoParts Stores. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
If there is some thread still exposed try putting a pipe wrench over the thread with a piece of pipe over the end of the wrench for leverage to turn it out its tapered pipe thread it should never go in so all the thread is sunk into the case. Its probably a cast plug not a steel one, grind it flat use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and gind a slot in it, get a piece of square stock about a foot long and weld in the middle of it a piece of steel that fits the slot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it off today!! Took it to a shop got it up in air he ground some shape back in the plug, heated a little carefully ad bang it was off!!. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
maybe want to wrap that new plug with some teflon plumbers tape. It will help it from seizing again. Dissimilar metals and all..

Don

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Glad you got it out.
Welcome. Haven't seen you post before.
Did you know there is a Danchuk dealer in your area?
Nice guy.
Pm me if you want his number.

John

1 - 20 of 21 Posts