Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

just wanted to share a tip with you..many of you probly already know..

If you are looking to remove paint/rust from hood/fenders/doors..any body panels and you haven't tired a "pearl disc" on a 4 or 4 1/2" grinder you should try it.. My 57 truck has several coats of paint on it and I cleaned a front fender down to pure metal in an hour, and I'm talking clean as a whistle.. These discs look like a bunch of little flaps overlaying each other in a ring formation.

These discs are like 10 bucks, but I've done a fender and entire hood and it's still got a lot of life left.. If you don't have access to blast, then give this a shot. You wont be disappointed.. but, be careful of large surfaces and the heat it generates (warping) although I had no problem, just kept skipping around if I though it was getting too hot

just thought I'd share.

· Registered
334 Posts
Becareful not to gouge the metal with those discs. they take paint rust bondo and METAL. they work good just have to be very careful not to cause yourself more work than other stripping methods.

· Registered
38,708 Posts
Nate, I agree with wallz55 - a flap disc on a 4-1/2" grinder is too aggressive, and will remove metal and wells as put a lot of heat in it.

I use flap discs for grinding welds, and I don't consider one on a 4-1/2" grinder to be controllable enough for grinding welds on sheet metal. Does a great job on light structural metal though.

I think the best way to strip paint with a rotating abrasive disc is to use an 80 grit flat disc with a polisher that has electronic speed control like a Makita 9227C. Dewalt and Milwaukee have them too. Same machine you'd use for buffing a new paint job. Run the machine at a reduced speed, like 1000-1500 rpm. Grinders run too fast.

I'm told the best way to do it with the polisher/sander is to use a hook and loop pad and Norton 80 grit hook and loop paper. Never done it with that, but it's what I'd do if I had a big job to do this way, anything bigger than a single panel. The hook and loop means you don't have anything in the center of the disc, and with the pad, all the disc will stay in contact. Though the Norton might be more expensive, it will last longer, especially with the slower speed. 3M probably has a similar product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.