Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
No Job=No Income. I've managed to make it for 3 months by selling virtually everything else. I said I'd never do this but here goes, my family comes first.

I have known of this car since 1973 and I wanted it then even though I was driving a hot rod 55 Bel Air Convertible. I tried constantly to purchase this car for 25 years. In 1999, everything fell together, I owned and operated a hot rod shop doing back halfs, subframes, custom paint, upholstery, everything. I saw the car had been moved from where it sat for 20 years, asked about it one last time and was able to buy it. I built it to be my dream car so I invested a tremendous amount of engineering and fabrication time in it. Here is what has been done, starting at the front.

I constructed a plastic air *** instead of the heavy front bumper. It has a pro mod look and blends well with the factory lines. I cut the frame horns off and welded an 86 Mustang SVO subframe on. I built strut towers from 2X4 square tubing, welding 1/2" plate to the top, slotted to allow the actual strut mount plate(3/8" plate) to adjust forward and backward(caster adjustment) via one adjustment bolt per side. The new subframe assembly continues forward to support the factory radiator support. I fabricated conventional side mounts as well. The transmission crossmember is "67-'71 Camaro, a bolt in fit, brackets are already on the frame I just lost the X-member in a move. $50 new on eBay. The engine is moved 1 1/4" foward and 1" up to allow for a big block. To keep it simple I trashed all the original wiring and a harness and fuse block was used from a 72 Impala. It has a switch in the dash and a pigtail to connect to a 700R4 which will lock it in OD, in any gear or normal operation depending on the position. My business before the custom shop was an electronic shop, so all wiring is done right, I installed indirect as well as an array of spot lighting controlled from an overhead console which was donated by a custom van. The overhead mounts the AutoMeter Monster Tach w/ shift light and houses the stereo, wired for Kenwood. A custom fabricated radio delete plate in the dash houses vintage Stewart Warner Amp and oil gauges as well as the Trans lock out switch and the cooling fan overide, LED's indicate switch position. I adapted a Nissan HVAC system which operates off the 57 controls. The heater and defroster both work perfectly. I was going to run ducts for the AC but I found by just opening the glove box door cold air reaches all the way to the back of the wagon. The passenger seat is mounted on a swivel pedestal to allow access to the rear and it releases from it's floor mount as well. The drivers seat is power. The area just behind the seats opens for storage and the two batteries are mounted behind that in a seperate compartment. The 4 point roll cage made of 2" tubing mounts the shoulder belts. Above the minitubs I filled in with sound board and mounted 12" Subs. The 9" ford rear end has the big 31 spline axles and big carrier bearings. It currently has 3.50 gears w/ traction lock. A tubular crossmember serves for a shock mount. The car has the original heavy leaf springs, moved inboard the frame. I used to launch the car at 4500 rpm with a 425 hp smallblock and never had a wheel hop or traction problem. It handles like a Mustang and rides really decent too. I bought the current engine and trans from a friend before he even pulled it out of his truck. It's a 454 engine with all accessories, Hypertech dist, GM performance intake, new Holley DBL Pumper and long tube headers. No computer here. TH400 trans with B&M slapstick shifter. The the large panels on the car are very straight(that's why I wanted it all these years but still needs some very minor body work. All rust was replaced with new sheet metal, all weatherstrip, window felts and windshield replaced in '01. The car needs a driveshaft, fuel pump, crossmember and radiator to be drivable, everything is a bolt-in, no welding required.

I am guessing you can buy all the parts necessary to make it drive for less than $500 on eBay. The doors are all edged in and clearcoated so you are looking at about $2000 to have someone paint it. Then allowing a couple of thousand for you personal styling tastes, that's $4500. I want $10,000 for the car. I may have to take less but that's my starting point. You shouldn't have more than 15,000 in it when finished. I have no doubts this car will easily bring $25,000.

More pics on request. Email me for my number, I'll be glad to talk with you. Thanks, Gary

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,713 Posts
Gary....Your link does not work for me.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I would love to see pics...sounds very interesting 57,but link found nothing..good luck at selling :anim_25:

·
Registered
67,743 Posts
:hello: hi gary and welcome. good to have you here. sorry about the hard times. going to have to post pics, link n.g..

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
Man, that sounds like a very reasonable deal for somebody to get into a cool hot rod. What else can you buy for that kind of money? Uh, nothing...

Sorry to hear about your situation, hope things get better for you soon.
Good luck with the sale!

·
Registered
67,743 Posts
the craigslist ad says $8000. :confused0006: ................:anim_25:

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Man, that sounds like a very reasonable deal for somebody to get into a cool hot rod. What else can you buy for that kind of money? Uh, nothing...

Sorry to hear about your situation, hope things get better for you soon.
Good luck with the sale!
:anim_25:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It's on craigslist in Dallas, Tulsa, Kansas City, OKC and Fort Smith.

Hey Guys, I've forgotten how to post a pic on a forum apparently. I have it listed for 8000, quick money. That is a firm price, I left a little wiggle room here at 10. I've actually been trying to post it on here since before I listed it on craigslist. By the time I got it on CL I was a little more desperate, thus the 8000. lol

http://fortsmith.craigslist.org/cto/2659497579.html

Thanks for your sympathies guys, I'm sure all of you have the same bond with your machines. I'm down but not out, I have my health and a beautiful 7 yr old daughter. I'm sure I'll pick up something my daughter and I can work on together once I get straightened out. She was raised in my shop, she's a little grease monkey. :)

If you email me at [email protected] I will be glad to take pictures of whatever part of the car you would like to see and email them to you.

·
Registered
12,124 Posts
Gary I wish you the very best of luck in your current situation. I hope it all works out and in some miracle you get to keep the 57 :p3::anim_25:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.